Revamped Iona rosters find comfortability at home

photo courtesy of IonaGales.com
Idan Tretout was Tobin Anderson’s first transfer signee for Iona.

The week of Nov. 6 marked the beginning of basketball season at Iona University and around the NCAA. Much like last year, both the men and women’s teams played two games, one at home and one away. Last year, both teams went 1-1, winning their game at home but losing on the road.  

Starting off with the men’s team, their first game would come on Nov. 6, where they travelled to Charleston, South Carolina to take on the College of Charleston Cougars.  

The game was close in the beginning and towards the end, with the Gaels taking a single-point lead in the final minute after a layup from freshman guard Jeremiah Quigley. Despite the late layup and being near even on every stat, the Gaels still lost 71-69 to the Cougars. This could be attributed to a 13-6 run during the middle of the first half and the Cougars getting 20 opportunities at the free throw line compared to the Gaels’ eight attempts.  

Some notable players for Iona were junior forward Greg Gordon, who had 18 points and 14 rebounds, and graduate guard Idan Tretout, who had 17 points and 5 assists.  

The men’s team would finish up their week at home against the Sacred Heart University Pioneers. The game was very close throughout both halves, with the lead changing a total of eight times throughout the game. Sacred Heart had a one-point lead going into halftime, but a strong second half by the Gaels helped Iona win 88-81, starting the season 1-1.  

Idan Tretout’s 34 points, along with 10 points, seven rebounds, and five assists and steals apiece from graduate guard Joel Brown were able to push the Maroon and Gold over the edge. 

The women’s team started their season on the road and faced the Seton Hall University Pirates on Nov. 7.  

The Gaels were outmatched almost everywhere on the court and fell to the Pirates 75-32. Sophomore forward Petra Oborilova recorded a team-high seven points and junior guard Ella Fajardo had seven rebounds and five assists to go along with five points.  

Head coach Angelika Szumilo and the Gaels had their home opener on Nov. 12 against the Long Island University Sharks.  

After taking the lead at the end of the second quarter due to a three by sophomore guard Ale Civera, Iona never looked back and ended up winning 80-59.  

Four Gaels scored in double figures, including Oborilova, who led the way with 17 points. Fajardo nearly posted a double-double, while rookie forward Emma Donnelly scored nine points in 10 minutes off the bench. 

The women’s next stop is Florida, where matches against Bethune-Cookman University and Stetson University are scheduled for Nov. 15 and 18. The men will also travel to the “Sunshine State,” set to participate in the 2023 Gulf Coast Showcase from Nov. 20-22.