Iona’s Deignan Institute for Earth and Spirit joins march against fossil fuels

Photo Credit: Deignan Institute for Earth and Spirit at Iona University
Iona attends march against fossil fuels ahead of UN Summit.

On Sunday, Sept 17., countless protesters flooded the streets of New York City to march against fossil fuels. The protestors demanded that President Biden put end to the country’s dependance on fossil fuels ahead of this week’s U.N. Climate Ambition Summit. The Biden administration recently approved of new oil and gas drilling permits, which goes against the president’s campaign promise to lead the fight against climate change. Among them stood an interfaith alliance of 75,000in solidarity against new oil and gas drilling. The coalition gathered on Broadway in the late morning and marched towards the U.N. Headquarters in the afternoon, where they held the final rally stop. 

Partnered with GreenFaith and sponsored by the Office of Mission & Ministry, the Deignan Institute for Earth and Spirit at Iona University marched through New York City brandishing tall, painted banners in support of our planet. GreenFaith is an interfaith religious organization that is dedicated to stopping climate change. As one of the oldest religious environmental organizations in the country, GreenFaith was founded in 1992 by Jewish and Christian leaders in New Jersey with the intention of engaging in environmental issues. GreenFaith provided students with the banners, allowing them to be held for the duration of the march.  

More than fifteen Gaels spent their Sunday afternoons chanting, singing, and fist-pumping as they absorbed the wonderful sights of New York City, and the protest art. Pamphlets and other informational content were given out to better inform the students. For some Gaels, it was the first-time taking part in a march and they were excited to advocate for a cause that they believed in. Criminal Justice Club President Connor Murray, a fellow at GreenFaith, believes that Iona is taking a step in the right direction. According to Murray’s experiences, few schools go out of their way to sponsor events such as this march, and Iona’s participation is truly unique. The March to End Fossil Fuels has given Iona students the opportunity to fight the good fight and defend a planet under attack.  

The march was attended by prominent voices like Vanesa Nakate, Cornel West, and Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, amplifying the demonstration’s fervor. During the first rally on Broadway, Frances Namoumou of the Pacific Council of Churches was invited to speak on environmental justice. In a post-rally interview she stated, “When you talk about climate in U.S. spaces, it’s sort of an abstract.” Namoumou believes we are all connected by the oceans. She explains how carbon emissions in the U.S. disproportionately affects the oceans in the Pacific. Namoumou participates in community relief efforts, especially those that rebuild communities affected by oceanic storms, “while people are still recovering from one cyclone, another cyclone happens, scientists have said that this is going to be more frequent and severe,” she says. Namoumou’s mission is to bring awareness to those who are undeserving and marginalized by climate change.