52° New Rochelle, NY
The Student News Site of Iona University

The Ionian

The Ionian

The Ionian

Tips on how to make the most out of your senior year

I have had numerous conversations with alumni about my college experience and the one thing that everyone has said to me is the cliché, “it will be over before you know it.” I never understood how much that saying meant until my first day of senior year. As I was walking through campus to my first class of the day, I couldn’t help but think that just three short years earlier, I was a scared little freshman just beginning my college journey. The past three years have flown by in the blink of an eye, and I know that my last year here at Iona is going to go by the fastest. I came up with a few tips on how I am going to make my senior year the best that it can be, and I hope it can help you out as well because if you are anything like me, you are not ready to leave the place I call my second home.  

Don’t be afraid to make new friends 

As a senior, you most likely have a few friends that have been by your side since the very beginning. You have grown together in more ways than anyone could understand. However, with each new school year and new people coming in, there is an opportunity to make even more friends. Maybe you will meet your new best friend or maybe even the love of your life. There are so many friendships and relationships yet to be had. Don’t be afraid to put yourself out there, say hello to someone while on your daily Starbucks run or getting breakfast from the Avenue Deli. You never know, it could be the biggest blessing in disguise. 

Academics are important but they aren’t everything 

As a college student, it is a constant grind trying to keep up with five or more classes per semester. We bury ourselves with homework and exams to try and get the best grades possible. Yes, academics are important and prepare you for your future career, however, you are only in college once. When I look back on my college career, I don’t want the only thing I remember to be the nights I spent alone in the library. I want to remember the late-night ice cream runs with my teammates or my roommates and randomly deciding to rearrange our room at midnight. Don’t be afraid to put down the books every once in a while, to hang out with friends or go to your favorite restaurant. These are going to be some of the best times of your life so make them count before it’s all said and done. 

Spend more time on campus 

This might seem so simple and pointless but enjoy the time you spend on campus. The environment of college is something you will likely never get to experience again. Occasions such as friends meeting up between classes, athletes wobbling home from a hard practice or Starbucks regulars willing to wait 30 minutes for their pumpkin spice latte are one-of-a-kind experiences. Spend some time sitting out on Murphy Green or playing pick-up games on Mazella Field. Iona has a beautiful campus and since it is so small, you get to see everything and do everything within a tight-knit community. Anytime you are walking through campus, there is always an event going on so if you have time stop by and support fellow peers, maybe you will find something new that interests you. While the weather is still nice, grab your favorite book or a few friends and soak it all in while you still can. 

Most of us as seniors only have one year left before we are sent into the real world, which is a very scary place so I hope these tips will help make it the best year yet. Enjoy every second of this year because it will fly by and as soon as you know it, we will be walking across the stage at graduation with the past four years behind us and we want those years to be full of happy memories and friendships that will last a lifetime.