Iona dedicates Kelly Center for Health Sciences

Photocredit @ionauniversity

The Kelly Center for Health Sciences is the flagship school of the NewYork-Presbyterian Iona School of Health Sciences.

Jocelyn Arroyo-Ariza, News Editor

The flagship building of the NewYork-Presbyterian Iona School of Health Sciences on Iona’s new Bronxville campus opened its doors on Jan. 17.  

An opening ceremony was held for the Kelly Center for Health Sciences to celebrate Iona’s newest addition days before it was set to open. The Kelly Center for Health Sciences will serve as the flagship building of the new school where nursing students will study. The ceremony recognized benefactors Alfred F. Kelly Jr. ’80, ’81MBA, ’19H, chairman and chief executive officer of Visa, and Peggy Kelly ’81, ’84MBA, who gifted $5 million to name the building. Around 150 guests attended the ceremony, including Bronxville Mayor Mary Marvin and Board of Trustees and New Rochelle Mayor Noam Bramson. Cardinal Timothy Dolan, Archbishop of New York recorded a special video message for the ceremony congratulating President Carey and thanking Al and Peggy Kelly.  

Spanning three floors and nearly 32,000 square feet, The Kelly Center for Health Sciences was designed to be modern. Built on what was formerly the library of Concordia College, the Kelly Center for Health Sciences was constructed with a design philosophy focused on wellness. The building is bright, eco-friendly and infused with natural elements. Minimizing the environmental impact, the Kelly Center for Health Sciences retains the existing structure of its 50-year-old building, interior floors, stairs and elevator, as well as employing new heat-pump technology for heating and cooling that will reduce fossil fuel consumption and carbon emission.  

The Kelly Center for Health Sciences’ cutting-edge and collaborative spaces promote interdisciplinary learning. Some highlights of the building include five simulation rooms with connected control rooms, four laboratory rooms, two group therapy rooms, two patient examination rooms and two debrief rooms. The building is well equipped with state-of-the-art technology such as high-tech mannequins that mimic actual patients.  

For students who want to see the NewYork-Presbyterian Iona School of Health Sciences, the Gael Express will make trips to the Bronxville campus.  

Senior Leah Figueroa was one student who had the opportunity to see the campus. “Walking into the new Kelly Center for the first time and seeing all of the students using the new facility was amazing!”, It truly was impressive how realistic the simulation rooms looked- I felt like I was in a real hospital!”