Restaurant reviews: Westchester Taco Grill is the star of off-campus dining options

+Waco+is+some+of+the+tastiest+off-campus+food+you+could+get+with+your+meal+plan.++

Photo courtesy of Luis Lopez

Waco is some of the tastiest off-campus food you could get with your meal plan.

Luis Lopez, Staff Writer

Nothing says off-campus food like a meal from Westchester Taco Grill. “Waco” – as some people call it – is located on 712 North Ave and offers a lot of delicious dishes for students to enjoy. I have been going to Westchester Taco Grill for years, and I always have a very good time. One thing I’ve always loved about the restaurant is their plethora of options for all their food items; there’s food for everyone. The restaurant offers weekday specials: on Mondays they offer 50% off orders of chicken wings, on Tuesday its essentially taco Tuesdays with their deal for the day being “Buy two tacos get one free” and on Wednesdays they offer free nachos with a purchase of a sangria pitcher, so for those who like nachos and sangria, Wednesdays at Waco are the best.  

With a name like Westchester Taco Grill, it’s no secret that the tacos they serve are something special. The restaurant offers a variety of signature tacos which include tacos like the “Bangin Buffalo Taco,” which consists of fried chicken with blended Mexican cheese, pepper jack cheese, shredded lettuce, buffalo sauce and ranch dressing. Two of my personal favorite tacos they offer are the “Spicy Pork Taco” which is made of spiced shredded pork, pepper jack cheese, tomato salsa and sour cream, and the “Tequila-Lime Taco” which contains sauteed chicken strips, cilantro, onions, avocado, jalapenos, lime juice, melted cheese and tequila. The tacos can be served on soft flour or corn tortillas, hard taco shells or even with a lettuce wrap, which is rather delicious and pairs well with the tacos served. 

Waco also serves very tasty appetizers or “tapas.” Some of their notable tapas include their loaded nachos which are nachos served with pork chorizo, black beans, corn, jalapenos, scallions, cheddar, Monterey jack cheese and queso fresco. I also love their loaded fries which are French fries served with warm sauce, cotija cheese, queso fresco and chopped bacon. Any of the tapas on their menu are the perfect way to start your meal at Waco.  

Tacos aren’t the only item Waco is known for, as they also offer some delicious burritos that are my usual go-to meal whenever I dine in. My two favorite burritos served at the restaurant are the “California Burrito” which is a burrito made of steak, fries, guacamole, white rice and spicy siracha, which is a flavorful burrito with a nice steak and great taste. I also enjoy the “La Fresca” burrito which is a burrito containing battered fried chicken, bacon, guacamole, roasted red peppers, shredded pepper jack cheese and chipotle ranch. It’s a great burrito with a nice crunchy texture and packed with flavor. All burritos are served with house made chips and can be substituted for fries for a dollar and can be served with a lettuce wrap if asked.  

Waco is the perfect place for students to go for a night out and I recommend it for all those who haven’t gone. This restaurant’s rating is a 4.6/5.