Havrilla and Riccio named student athletes of the week

+The+pair+are+the+second+male+and+female+to+be+named+Ridgewood+Savings+Bank+student-athletes+of+the+week.%C2%A0

Photo Courtesy of ionagaels.com

The pair are the second male and female to be named Ridgewood Savings Bank student-athletes of the week. 

Lachlan Wellington, Sports Editor

Emma Havrilla of Iona women’s soccer and Dylan Riccio of Iona swimming and diving were named the Ridgewood Savings Bank student-athletes for the week of Oct. 6-13.  

Havrilla won her award on the back of her performance against Canisius College. The graduate goalkeeper earned her fourth shutout of the season and the 13th of her career, which moves her to second all-time in program history for clean sheets.  

The program record for clean sheets is 14 by Trista Rivera.  

Havrilla has started every game for the Gaels this season, playing a combined total of 1305:00 minutes.  

She averages less than a goal a game against her, having conceded 13 goals in 16 games and has 0.9 average goals against her conceded.  

Havrilla’s average has led her to an 8-4-3 record, and she has a total of 50 saves on the season and a save percentage of 0.794.  

Dylan Riccio, in his rookie season for the Gaels, won male student-athlete of the week on the back of his performances against Saint Francis Brooklyn University and Holy Cross University.  

Riccio won in both the 1 and 3-meter springboards with scores of 209.00 and 204.30 against Saint Francis Brooklyn. The pair of wins were the first by an Iona diver for five years and he is the first male diver to compete for Iona since 2015.  

The freshmen Riccio then won again the next day in competition against Holy Cross University where he also completed the 1m and 3-meter springboard events double, where he outscored the previous day with 232.05 and 245.10 points.  

Riccio, who hails from Harrison, New York, also got onto the Iona All-Time top 12 list with his performances. He currently sits fourth for the 1-meter event and second for the 3-meter event.  

Due to Riccio being added to the Gaels’ roster for this season, Iona bought in 1982 alum Maureen Arnold as diving coach.  

Head swimming and diving coach Nick Cavataro announced Arnold’s appointment as the program’s diving coach.  

Arnold’s return welcomes an alum who was a four-time All-American honoree and someone who competed nationally in both the 1 and 3-meter springboard events.  

“I’m very excited to return to Iona and know that Coach Cavataro and I can build a program that will compete in the MAAC (Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference) at the highest levels,” said Arnold, according to the ionagaels.com website.