Iona celebrates 82nd birthday

Photo credit - @ionaadmissions on Instagram

Crowds of students, faculty and staff showed up to celebrate the university’s 82nd birthday.

Margaret Dougherty, Editor in Chief

Iona University celebrated its 82nd birthday with a party in the center of campus on Sept. 19. 

The celebration kicked off around 12:30 and lasted until 2:00. Students, faculty and staff passed through the celebration to listen to music, eat food, receive giveaways and gather with friends.  

In addition to celebrating Iona’s birthday, the party also marked a new start for Iona after the institution received university status this past July.  

“It is really exciting that Iona is a university now,” senior Samantha Guardino said. “I can’t wait to see all the exciting they have in store for the year. This party was a great way to kick off the new status and have some fun with my friends.” 

The giveaways included both maroon and gray Iona t-shirts, car magnets, stickers, pennants, and Croc jibbitz.  

“It was a great way for the campus to come together, celebrate and take pride in being part of Iona University,” junior Mary Flood said. “It was a great opportunity to get some new Iona University merch, which is always my favorite.” 

There was also a wide assortment of food, including subs, candy apples, pretzels, cotton candy and cupcakes that spelled out “IONA U.”  

“I really enjoyed the party,” senior Faith Rosenhagen said. “I had no idea it was happening until I walked out of class. I thought it was a fun time to spend with friends overall celebrating Iona’s birthday.” 

The pipe band, pep band and Iona dancers all performed at the birthday bash.  

“The Iona University birthday celebration was amazing and a great way for students to come together and celebrate Iona becoming a university,” senior Elijah Borges said. “The pipe band and dance teams were also great and put on a good show.” 

Students enjoyed the festive atmosphere of the party. 

“Iona’s birthday celebration was one for the books,” senior Leah Figueroa said. “I had so much fun and I loved how it felt like a big block party. It feels like Iona’s back to normal again. Since becoming a university, the feeling on campus is different but better. I feel as though the community is stronger and there’s an overall improvement in school pride.”