Restaurant reviews: The comfort food paradise of The Wooden Spoon

Photo courtesy of Luis Lopez 

The Wooden Spoon offers comfort food at its best in New Rochelle.  

Luis Lopez, Staff Writer

The Wooden Spoon is a comfort food paradise located at 16 Division St. in New Rochelle. The restaurant primarily focuses on serving comfort foods such as burgers, mac and cheese and a plethora of other options for students to enjoy. I had never been to The Wooden Spoon before this past summer and was pleasantly surprised by my first visit.  

While browsing the menu, two items caught my eye: street corn, which is “roasted corn on the cob rolled in garlic mayo, crumbled bacon and spices,” and “The Smoke Show,” which is a chicken sandwich consisting of a chicken patty, cheddar cheese, bacon, fried onions, barbecue sauce and topped with a potato bread bun or Texas toast. The street corn was my appetizer and was the perfect start to my meal. The corn had a nice spice to it and a good crunch from the crumbled bacon and overall great flavor with the edition of garlic mayo. 

“The Smoke Show” was a very enjoyable chicken sandwich and pairs great with Texas toast; it also came with French fries, which were crispy and delicious. I had the luxury of enjoying the food while having a picnic, so if anyone is looking for a nice meal for a picnic or a meal to enjoy on your down time The Wooden Spoon has you covered.  

I enjoyed my first visit to The Wooden Spoon so much, I had to go back and ended up trying a unique sounding burger, “The Cali” burger which was a grilled tuna burger with avocado, tomato, pepper jack cheese and orange ginger sauce served on ciabatta bread. I had never tried a grilled tuna burger, and I was surprised by the flavor it packed and the great texture. I encourage students to give the burger a try; take a leap of faith and try something new.  

The restaurant has a wide variety of appetizers including Buffalo wings, fried ravioli, Totchos— tater tots topped with melted cheddar cheese, lettuce, tomato, onions, jalapenos and ranch dressing– and much more for students to enjoy. For those who like creating their own dishes, The Wooden Spoon offers D.I.Y salads, burgers and mac and cheese. The D.I.Y menu selection highlights the vast assortment of ingredients at the restaurant; for example, they offer a plethora of bread options for their burgers and sandwiches including potato rolls, wraps, Texas toast, ciabatta, garlic bread, lettuce wraps and gluten free buns. The D.I.Y items all have various types of cheeses, so for those who are self-proclaimed cheese enthusiasts, The Wooden Spoon is the place to go. The restaurant has a little bit of everything for everyone, including some tasty desserts, like strawberry shortcakes, brownie sundaes, peanut butter cups and waffle ice cream sandwiches.  

The Wooden Spoon lives up to the expectation of a great spot for comfort food, and all students looking for a fun place to eat should check it out. This restaurant’s rating is a 4/5; comfort food paradise delivered.