Golf opens season at Advance Golf Partners invitational

Photo Courtesy of icgaels.com

Iona Golf finished first in the MAAC Championship last season.  

Jordan Score, Staff Writer

The Iona Gaels golf team opened their 2022 season competing in the Advance Golf Partners Collegiate on Feb. 13 in Palm City, Florida.   

The Gaels played in this tournament from Feb. 13 to Feb. 15. Graduate students Justin Burkhamer, Gonzalo Arcelay, Kritsarin Oukosavanna and sophomores Garrett Giles and Brandon Burkhamer were the five golfers who competed for Iona as junior William Fleck performed as an individual.   

Burkhamer finished as the Gaels’ top individual finisher placing in the top 40 ending the day with a score of 76. Fleck recorded an 85 as Arcelay finished the day with  79 and Giles finished with a score of 78.  Ouksovanna posted a score of 75.  

Burkhamer posted 37 on the back nine after he struggled earlier. The Gaels recorded a score of 308 for the second consecutive time. Their three-day score was 922 which placed them 20th in this tournament.  

The Gaels as a team were tied in seventh place with a team score of 295 following play on day one. Giles posted a five-under 67 putting him one shot back of the individual leader. Justin Burkhamer posted a 74 in the opening round.  

Brandon Burkhamer as well as Oukosavanna each posted 77’s. Arcelay recorded a 78 as Fleck posted 81 competing as an individual.  

The Gaels then got set to compete the following day two. Giles finished 18 plus 3 and Justin Burkhamer recorded 74 for the second time. Justin Burkhamer at the time was the Gaels’ top individual placer. Areclay recorded 82, Oukosavanna posted 80, as Brandon Burkhamer recorded 79 for the day. Fleck recorded an 84 in the individual competition. After play was over, the Gaels were in 20th place as they finished with a team score of 308 before finishing 20th out of 21 teams overall.  

Iona gets set to compete next in the South Jersey Spring Kick Off on March 5 and 6 at Ocean View New Jersey. Following this, the Gaels will play in four more tournaments before they begin the 2022 Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference Championship down in Lake Buena Vista Florida starting on April 22.