Iona out of MAAC regular season after positive covid-19 case

This is the second time this season the Iona College men’s basketball team has been directly impacted by covid-19. // Photo courtesy of icgaels.com.

Matthew Chaves, Sports Editor

Iona College sent out an email Monday announcing there has been a positive COVID-19 case amongst their Tier 1 members. The men’s basketball team will not finish their regular Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference season games. 

“Due to a positive COVID-19 result received by a Tier 1 member of the men’s basketball program, and subsequent quarantine and isolation protocols, Iona will not have the required number of student-athletes to complete for the remainder of the MAAC’s regular season,” the announcement stated. “Student-athletes who have been cleared via health department, NCAA and MAAC protocols remain able to train during the pause in activity for those who cannot.” 

This comes just a week after a 51 day-long break that the Gaels were excited to break. The break was between Dec. 23. and Feb. 12. 

The Gaels just finished their week with a double-header win against Monmouth and were getting ready to go up against Marist on Wednesday. 

“This is extremely unfortunate news to learn at a time so late in the season,” head coach Rick Pitino said in the email. “I feel awful for our student-athletes who worked so hard to get back following our pause that lasted nearly two months. The pandemic is still very real, and ultimately the health and safety of those around the program is most important. We look forward to returning and competing in the MAAC Championship in March.” 

The MAAC Championships start on Mar. 8. The Gaels have officially ended their regular season with a 6-3 MAAC record, 8-5 overall.