MAAC and Mainline team up to introduce esports to the conference

Matthew Chaves, Sports Editor

The Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference has teamed up with esports tournament platform provider Mainline to add esports to the conference. 

The announcement came on June 25 after the success following the recognition of esports as a club sport by the MAAC. 

“The MAAC is proud to welcome Mainline as a partner to our esports platform,” MAAC Commissioner Rich Ensor said. “We look forward to continuing to grow our esports presence and provide a memorable experience for our student-athletes. Mainline’s platform development and management will be integral this upcoming year as we look to provide a steady stream of up-to-date information on competition throughout the regular season.” 

Mainline will be providing the MAAC with a personalized interface, support in the logistic side of things like brackets, tournaments and organizationrule sets and guidelines and will run the tournaments organized. 

“We couldn’t be happier to be partnering with the MAAC to provide them with their own conference branded esports platform to help manage their competitions across their member universities,” Mainline Founder and CEO Chris Buckner said. “The MAAC has been a first-mover in collegiate esports, leading the way in providing their students an enhanced competitive esports experience. Mainline is proud that our esports platform can support the MAAC in these efforts providing additional value for the conference, its members, and their sponsors.” 

So far, there are two games that the MAAC is hosting this season: Super Smash Bros. Ultimate and Rocket League.  

Rocket League has seven teams in Delaware, University of Texas Arlington, Rochester Institute of Technology, Marist, Siena, Canisius and Niagara. Currently, Delaware leads the Electronic Gaming Federation Collegiate Founder Invitational, with a record of three tournament wins and zero tournament losses. They’ve won nine games and lost one. Niagara is in last with zero wins and three losses and a total of two games won and nine games lost. 

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate has six teams competing in Siena, Canisius, RIT, Saint Peter’s, Marist and Niagara. Siena is currently leading the pack with three wins and zero losses. Niagara is also at the tail end of the lot, with a total of zero wins and four losses.