Virtual playlist bingo keeps students engaged, interactive

Krystal Ortiz, News Editor

The Division of Student Life hosted a virtual Playlist Bingo activity, where students were able to join for the chance of winning money prizes, on Aug. 9.  

Participants were able to join the event through a link provided by an email from Student Activities. After pressing the link, students were prompted to generate a bingo sheet and interacted with the host of the activity until the game began.  

This event was fairly easy to facilitate. A committee of professionals from across Division of Student Life planned a week’s worth of programming to engage new students as well as returning students,”  Assistant Director of Student Life Julia Romano saidThen we contacted the company and they provided us with the all the pieces – a host, a virtual link and the game! 

The vendor was hosted by Derrick Knopsnyder, a comedian and gameshow host. Knopsnyder has over twenty thousand followers on Instagram. This is not the first time that the vendor was booked at Iona.  

We have used this vendor in the past for other programming,” Romano saidThey are reliable and so easy to work with! 

Around 30 students participated in the event, according to Romano.  

To continue the promotion of health and safety guidelines, the office will continue to do similar virtual activities such as Playlist Bingo, according to Romano.  

This semester at least, yes we will be hosting more events like this,” Romano saidJust like classes we have a mix-mode of programming – virtual, hybrid and in-person. We will most likely use this vendor if not someone similar. However, with students back for the semester and back on campus a lot of programming will be done and led by our clubs and organizations that won’t require the use of a vendor. 

Events such as this one are  considered important because they give students the opportunity to get a good college experience. They also give first-year students the chance to socialize and meet new peers despite the remote conditions, according to Romano.  

Events like Playlist BINGO are so important because they offer alternatives to scrolling on social media or just watching another show on Netflix or Hulu,” Romano saidIt provides opportunity in this new normal to still get the well round college experience, just in a mix-mode fashion. Programs like these are especially beneficial to first year students because it gives them an opportunity and a place to meet other people, find like minded individuals, and make new friends. 

The Division of Student Life plans to host other virtual events throughout the semester.