Colleges Against Cancer fundraises for virtual Relay for Life

Krystal Ortiz, News Editor

Throughout the semester, Colleges Against Cancer has been fundraising for cancer research. Despite not being able to host their Relay for Life event, the club is finding new ways to fundraise and engage students.

CAC is an organization designed to advocate and fundraise for the American Cancer Society.

“We want to emphasize that cancer doesn’t sleep so neither will we,” President of CAC Amanda Martins said. “We focus on making sure that our fighters, survivors and caregivers are being cared for!”

Relay for Life is a 12 hour annual fundraising and advocating event for ACS. Due to the COVID-19 Pandemic, CAC was unable to host the event. Instead, the organization developed a social media campaign, #WhyIRelay, on April 4. During the campaign, students showcased why they relay via videos and pictures. The overall goal was to ensure that CAC is supporting the ACS through fundraising.

“Unfortunately, due to COVID-19, we were unable to have our event, but the executive board and I truly enjoyed sharing our theme for Relay this year at our kick-off event,” Martins said. “We had a great turn out and were able to recognize some incredible people and organizations for their fundraising efforts and dedication to Relay for Life.”

Despite not being able to host the event, CAC has been collaborating with other clubs and organizations on campus to have virtual events and share their message on social media.

The club is working on improving next semester. CAC has set a larger fundraising goal and is hoping to grow the organization by having more general members and improving Relay for Life. This year, the club has raised $20,513.