Winter skincare tips

Katherine Daily, Staff Writer

The harsh cold air of winter has finally arrived and you’re going to need to know a few things as your body adjusts to the drop in temperature. Cold weather and low humidity results in dry air, stealing moisture from your skin and leaving you with nothing but itchy skin, chapped lips and dry knuckles.

It’s important to take care of your skin, and it does not have to be difficult. There are plenty of protective measures to keep your complexion lively, healthy and luminous throughout the winter months.

These tried-and-true skin tips will keep you looking healthy and happy this winter.

1. Gently exfoliate

Chilly air slows down the body’s natural ability to regenerate new layers of skin. Gentle exfoliation will stop irritation and dryness and reveal fresh, glowing skin.

“To keep my skin clean, I scrub my face with a cleanser,” freshman Lauren Guzzardi said. “It’s meant to dissolve away excess oil and dirt.”

Do this three times a week and avoid any products that have beads or grains that will tear at your skin.

1. Moisturize your hands

Handwashing is vital, especially during flu season, but the constant washing will cause your hands to dry out. That’s why it’s helpful to put on lotion afterwards to keep your skin healthy and hydrated.

“I love body lotion,” freshman Sarah Mendez said. “I put it on every night to protect my dry skin.”

Using lotion to moisturize will create a shield of protection around your hands this cold winter, leaving them nice and soft.

1. Use homemade masks

Homemade masks provide your face with much-needed moisture in the winter months. Use natural ingredients like avocado, honey, jojoba oils, aloe and yogurt to provide a soft complexion. Mix what you like together to create a cream and leave it on your skin for 10 minutes for lasting hydration. Wearing a face mask once a week will help to eliminate any itchiness and dryness.

1. Drink more water

We tend to forget to drink more water in the winter. We prefer hot drinks like coffee, cocoa and tea, but you need to remember that your skin needs water. Drinking a glass of water with lemon can be very refreshing and solve your skin hydration problem.

1. Always put on sunscreen

Whether you’re sledding, building a snowman or just going to class, it’s just as important to be applying sunscreen in the harsh winter weather as it is in the summer. The sun’s harmful UV rays can penetrate clouds and cause skin damage. In the winter, your body loses double the amount of moisture needed to protect you from the sun. So, before you go outside, apply a moisturizing, broad-spectrum sunscreen with an SPF of 15 or higher to all exposed areas of your body.

1. Identify your skin type

The most important step in caring for your skin is understanding your specific skin type and how it adapts to certain circumstances. As the body’s largest organ, skin is extremely complex and each person’s skin is unique. However, there are a few common skin types that may help you identify how to best help your skin. The three main categories of skin types are oily, combination and dry. If your skin feels tight, it’s likely to be dry, while oily skin feels greasy and shiny all over. People with combination skin will feel dry everywhere other than their t-zone, which is the forehead, nose and chin.

Determining your skin type will help you fulfill your skincare needs.

“I have particularly sensitive skin that comes off very oily,” freshman Allison Dumlao said. “So I usually avoid masks of any kind, but I do use night time face cream.”

Creating the best personalized skincare routine with these fun tips will keep your skin feeling happy, healthy and beautiful throughout the winter months.