Home away from home: making your dorm your own

Taylor Wilson and Julia Fabrizio, Contributing Writer and Features Editor

As many college students know, living in a new place with new people can be difficult, and after spending winter break at home with your family and in your own bedroom, your dorm probably isn’t feeling very homey. While everyone is bound to feel homesick at some point during the semester, there are plenty of things you can do to feel more comfortable and at home in your living space.

1. Bring a few personal belongings with you from home.

Lots of students bring things from home, whether that be pictures of family and friends, items with sentimental valueor their favorite stuffed animal. Students bring these types of items because they are the closest thing they have to their family, friends and hometown without being there. Those who dorm may not be able to go home for the weekend, especially if they live far away. Having a picture of family or pets will make your stay just a little more bearable.

1. Be friendly with your roommate.

Befriending your roommate is an easy way to feel more comfortable in your living space. It’s nice to know you have a friend you can hang out with so your stay during the semester is less lonely. Spending time with friends and making bonds helps lessen the sadness and homesickness you may feel. Even if you aren’t best friends with your roommate, it’s important to be amicable and have a good relationship with them so you can all be comfortable in your home.

1. Decorate your room.

Decorations remind you of home and can bring a bit of pop to boring, plain walls. Paintings and crafts to hang on the wall are a great personal touch, but for those who aren’t as artistic, posters and wall art from the store are just as good to add your own taste and style to your room. Photos of friends and family are great, too, and are a reminder to stay in touch with people. String lights are also a great touch to brighten things up and make the walls less boring. Whether it be a poster of your favorite band or team, or photos of your friends and family from home, adding your personal touch to your room helps it feel more like your room back at home.

1. Keep in touch with your family.

This may seem like a no-brainer, but some people don’t have time to call their families on a regular basis. Even if it isn’t an everyday thing, you will find life to be a lot less lonely if you plan some time to call your family. Try to arrange a phone call at least once a week so you don’t fall out of touch.

Everyone deals with being away from home differently. Whether you join a lot of clubs, spend all your time with new friends or make the library your second home, it’s important you find comfort in the place you live. Regardless of how people make their dorm feel more like home, it doesn’t beat being home, but take all these new friends and experiences to make the best of your time at school.