Hospitality suppers offer food, faith, community for all students

Stacey Franciamore, Managing Editor

The Office of Mission and Ministry hosted their weekly Hospitality Supper to engage students and create conversation about Iona Mission and Ministry on Jan. 23.

Held every Thursday at 5:30 p.m., different clubs and organizations host each Hospitality Supper, and all are welcome to join.

“We provide about a $100 budget and they get creative about the food,” Campus Minister Christopher Tinoco said. “We host at Montgomery house by rearranging the couches and small stuff. The club cooks and cleans right after. The campus ministers do reflection and prayer right before dinner.”

During reflection, everyone talks about current events and what they can do to cope and help. The main focus is to inform students about the need for community action throughout the world, according to Tinoco.

Hospitality Supper gives students an opportunity to meet new people and learn more about what the Office of Mission and Ministry has to offer.

“The main goal of Hospitality Supper is to create an image of welcoming the Catholic Church at Montgomery house,” Tinoco said. “We want to create a table of overflowing food, colors, laughter and nourishment [both] spiritually and physically.”

Freshman Elizabeth Kiernan recognizes the significance Hospitality Supper has for students.

“I think it’s important because it builds community within the Office of Mission and Ministry and people are able to come somewhere and get food that they might not be able to get and have a home away from home,” Kiernan said.

Other students feel reassured by the sense of community at the evening meal.

“It brings me comfort and a sense of being a part of a family,” freshman Allison Dumlao said.

According to Tinoco, the Hospitality Supper not only creates a safe and welcoming environment but a place where students can comfortably be themselves.

“I strongly feel like when people come to Hospitality, they feel welcomed into an environment where you don’t have to have the same hobbies as others,” Tinoco said.

For further information about Hospitality Supper, contact the Office of Mission and Ministry.