‘Jeopardy’ game spreads awareness for mental health

Katherine Daily, Staff Writer

The Gaels Activities Board hosted “Mental Health Jeopardy,” an event developed for all students to learn and discuss the importance of mental health through a game of jeopardy on Jan. 22 in the EndZone.

The event included a short, educational game that provided an easy way for students to discuss and learn the concepts of mental health. The game also gave students a sense of community, according to Public Relations Chair of the Gaels Activities Board Matheus Ferreira.

“We noticed that not a lot of students were aware of the effects and causes of mental health,” Ferreira said. “We are also quite aware that many other people have to work and cope with them every day. Mental health is not easy to talk about and we shouldn’t ignore it. As a community, I think we need to bridge that gap by becoming aware of others, which is why we created this game. We want students to learn and share those aspects.”

Ferreira also spoke about how the club is meant to inspire students to learn and grow in a fun and friendly environment.

“Our club’s goal is to assist the school’s community in widening the knowledge and appreciation of others,” Ferreira said. “We make an impact by providing insightful programs meant for everybody. Adding on to that, Iona’s mission is all about working together. We want students to have fun and learn something along the way.”

Aside from learning and being brought together, many students were just happy to be there.

“I enjoyed learning more about mental health as I had no prior knowledge about this topic,” senior Daisy Godoy said. “Yet, my favorite part was just watching all the teams run around.”

In the end, all students were expected to leave with new knowledge on mental health and have an appreciation for their community.