The director for Iona’s Instrumental Ensemble writes about its joint concert with the Vocal Ensemble and why students should attend

The annual Winter Concert featuring the Iona Instrumental and Vocal Ensembles will be hosted this Friday, Dec. 6, at 3 p.m. in Murphy Auditorium. This is the largest event of the fall semester for the Music Program of the Fine and Performing Arts Department.

You will hear holiday music, musical theater, solo features, classical music, rock music and more! There is something for everyone!

The winner of our annual Conducting Competition will also be announced.

If you play an instrument or sing yourself, we also hope you will consider joining one of our ensembles. Enrollment is open for the spring semester.

Students of all majors can join the Instrumental (FPA 360) and Vocal Ensemble (FPA 388) at Iona. Of course, we have music minors, but we also have students who are majoring in Computer Science, Sociology, Speech-Language Pathology, Marketing, Media & Strategic Communication and beyond.

There is also the option of a major in Arts Leadership at Iona. This is an interdisciplinary degree between Fine and Performing Arts, Media & Strategic Communication, and the School of Business. The students in this program study to be leaders in the administration of the arts in a variety of areas, including music, dance or theatre. As an added benefit, the Arts Leadership major is designed to set students up for the MBA at Iona.

Please join us to unwind and destress before finals! The concert is just under an hour, free/no ticket required. We promise you will enjoy it.