Making the best of winter break

Aliyah Rodriguez, Staff Writer

Finals season is well underway, and most are patiently waiting for it to end so they can enjoy a month at home with family and old friends. Winter break is a time to unwind and recharge, but what can you do to make the most of your break?

If you’re still on overdrive from the fall semester, you may not be thinking about getting a seasonal job. However, it is a good thing to consider to keep yourself busy over the break. Plenty of retailers are hiring for seasonal jobs for the holiday shopping season. It’s a great way to earn some extra spending cash or to gain some savings to put towards your tuition!

“I think it’s really important for me to get a job over winter break because I’m trying to work full-time so I can save up for a car. I think it’s good to always have money, too,” junior Krystal Ortiz said.

Taking up a new hobby is always a great way to utilize your free time. Activities such as painting, knitting or crocheting are super cheap and fun to do at a beginner’s level. Whatever you make can even turn into an interesting gift for a friend or family member. These hobbies could also continue into the spring semester as a helpful way to relieve stress and get your mind off of assignments.

There are tons of fun activities to do with your friends and family this holiday season. Video games, board games, puzzles and movie nights are always fun for a night in. Though it’s cold, there’s still lots to do outdoors. Ice skating for example can make for a fun day out.

Another great way to spend your winter break is to prepare yourself for future academic or work-related endeavors. It’s always stressful to have to think about the future of your academic career, but winter break is a good time to casually give these ideas some thought. Maybe set aside some time to create a LinkedIn account or to start applying to some internships.

“I plan on spending time with family, starting my applications for grad school and enjoying the time I have off,” senior Christa Sukra said.

Junior Ciara Serpa is taking advantage of winter session courses.

“I work on campus during the semester, so I was saving up my money so I could take a winter class because I’m a double major so I want to graduate on time,” Serpa said.

Senior Atira Barber-Ellis plans to reflect on the past semester and mentally prepare for what the next one will bring.

“For my winter break, I will be relaxing with family, I will do a lot of reading and spiritual work,” Barber-Ellis said. “A lot of unwinding and breaking down the past semester, learning from my mistakes and doing everything that I can to move forward…I currently own my own graphic design business and starting Jan. 2, I will be working for myself for the rest of the break.”

Don’t feel pressured into taking too much on during your month off. College is hard! You shouldn’t feel guilty about spending your break in bed with a ton of streaming service shows queued up. Do whatever works best for you. With all these options, you’re sure to have a well-spent winter break.