How to ace all your final exams

Katherine Daily, Staff Writer

It is the final stretch of the semester, and exams are officially upon us. In order to finish the year strong, it may be a good idea to face these exams with a different approach and study strategy. Take a look at these final exam study tips to help you end the semester strong.

Most would agree that procrastination is their biggest issue when it comes to finals. Pushing off assignments and studying until the very last minute will leave you overloaded and burnt out. It’s smarter for you to start ahead of schedule when it comes to getting your work done.

“I always start studying early for finals; it keeps me focused and organized,” junior Brandon Turner said. “It’s also a great way to avoid cramming, and it helps me plan ahead.”

If you aren’t understanding your course materials or you just feel stuck, don’t be afraid to ask for help. Talk to your professor if you have questions. After all, it’s their job to help you improve. If you don’t feel comfortable with asking your professors for help, try using Iona’s Samuel Rudin Academic Resource Center, which offers free tutoring for all students.  If neither of these options work for you, you can also talk to a classmate and see if they can help you. Ryan Library has several group study rooms for you and your classmates to meet up in and work together.

Students often forget that it’s important to take breaks while studying. Your mental capacity can only take so much before it begins to lose focus. Being overworked and tired can really slow your brain down, which can decrease your performance on final exams.  Taking a break in your study routine can strengthen your focus and diligence. However, keep in mind not to slack off or to have a break too often.

“I usually take a break when I start to lose focus,” senior Alyssa Colon said. “Most of the time I do something simple like coloring, which gives me a boost of energy to clear my mind and start again.”

Lastly, remember to stay positive. Studying for final exams can feel unbearable at times, but it’s a good idea to let go of that negativity. Don’t forget to give yourself some credit and remind yourself you can do anything.