Students reflect on why they’re thankful this season

Senior+Alyssa+Colon+%28top+left%29+is+grateful+for+everything+she+is+involved+in%2C+including+her+sorority+Phi+Gamma+Chi.+

PHOTO FROM PHIGAMACHI INSTAGRAM

Senior Alyssa Colon (top left) is grateful for everything she is involved in, including her sorority Phi Gamma Chi.

Margaret Dougherty, Contributing Writer

As the Thanksgiving break quickly approaches, many Iona students are eagerly awaiting the opportunity to relax and enjoy a respite from schoolwork. However, Thanksgiving is also the perfect time to reflect on our many blessings and spend time surrounded by our loved ones. Iona students shared what they are most thankful for this year.

“I am thankful for all the connections I have made at Iona College, including the sisters in my sorority,” junior Skylar Ridge said. “I also am grateful for leading the mission trip to Philadelphia in March.”

Many first-year students are reflecting on their experiences at Iona thus far.

“I am thankful for all the people who have helped me adjust here at Iona and the opportunities I’ve had so far in my first year of college,” freshman Cameron Deshnad said.

Senior Alyssa Colon is grateful for everything she is involved in at Iona.

“I am thankful to be able to experience by my last year of college and see how much I have grown along the way,” Colon said. “I’ve become a part of amazing clubs as the president of the Phi Gamma Chi sorority and an RA in Loftus Hall. I love my family, my sisters and all of the friends I have made at Iona College.”

As their last year of college is nearing its halfway mark, many seniors are thinking about all they’ve gained through this experience.

“This year, I’m especially grateful for the friends I’ve made and the people I’ve met over my past few years at Iona,” senior Christa Ryan said. “I’m also insanely thankful for my family and for my mom’s cooking, which I am most looking forward to this Thanksgiving.”

Junior Franco Ruvolo is thinking about those important to him during this time of year.

“I’m thankful for my family, friends and girlfriend,” Ruvolo said. “They have influenced me and made me the person I am today. They are so prevalent in my life and I wouldn’t have it any other way.”

Students are especially thankful for what Iona has provided them.

“I’m grateful for all the friends I have made and for learning how to be on my own at college,” sophomore Victoria Casolo said. “I am thankful for the road to learning who I am and what I want to do in life.”

We have all been blessed with wonderful people, opportunities and experiences that have improved our lives. So this Thanksgiving break, take time to appreciate all that you have.

PHOTO FROM IONAPLAYERS INSTAGRAM
Senior Christa Ryan is thankful for the friends she has made at Iona.