How to ace your midterm exams

Katherine Daly, Staff Writer

Have you noticed lately that your fellow college students seem a bit frazzled, stressed and panicked? The dreaded midterm season is upon us; but you knew that already, right?

There’s always a lot of pressure associated with midterms because they make up a significant percentage of our final class grade. Whether you’re a freshman or a senior, these tips can help make this part of the semester less overwhelming.

Stick to a strict study schedule before your exams to help you to avoid cramming. Attempting to study large amounts of information in a short period of time will make it very difficult to remember all the material and ultimately make you more stressed

When people cram for exams, they often stay up late at night to do so. Sleep deprivation can totally hinder your ability to form complex thoughts. So, sacrificing a few hours of sleep for extra cramming is not worth it.

It is common knowledge that breakfast is the most important meal of the day, but during exam season we avoid it like the plague. Even if you’re nervous you should still make the effort to eat something, even if you feel like butterflies are dancing in your stomach.  A big midterm can be a mental marathon where you will need the energy. It’s important to be prepared and well-fed.

Believe it or not, professors really tell you what you need to know, and it’s their job to help you improve. If you’re stuck on something or a topic just doesn’t seem to make sense, you can always ask for help. Reach out to them for help with things you don’t understand; the sooner the better!

Lastly, it’s important to take breaks while you’re studying, especially if you’re getting frustrated. Being overworked can really fry your brain, which will actually decrease your performance. When you take a break make sure you get away from your desk or study space.

“I take a walk after I break away from studying,” junior Alisha Keller said. “It clears my head and helps me focus again.”

A bit of physical activity and fresh air can sometimes help you to look at a problem in a different way and maybe even find the solution.

These suggestions are only just the tip of the iceberg. There are plenty of things you can do to get the most out of your studying, and you might already have other things that work better for you. Whatever it is, whatever strategy you come up with, good luck and do your best!