Freshman year survival guide, tips from upperclassmen

Nia Sago, Staff Writer

Entering your freshman year can be daunting. It’s a new environment mixed with new people and completely new experiences. Dealing with the adjustment from high school to college can be difficult, but there are so many ways for you to find your passion at Iona. As the school year pushes forward, keep these pieces of advice from upperclassmen in mind to make the best of your time at college.

Getting involved on campus is the easiest way to make Iona your home. Senior Genesis Mojica suggests how you can get involved with over 80 different clubs and organizations on campus.

“Students should take advantage of the career fair and the involvement fair to really branch out and think about all of the possibilities they have on campus to get know people, expand their knowledge and become a part of the Iona College community,” Mojica said.

Iona has a wide array of clubs focusing in areas such as academics, media, on-campus activities and more. Clubs are a great way to meet people that share similar interests and to get involved in things you are passionate about. The Office of Student Development in the LaPenta Student Union is the home for all campus clubs, so make sure to stop by!

Some students don’t realize until their senior year what a great resource their professors are. Don’t be afraid to reach out to them as they’re more useful than you think.

“I wish I knew earlier the importance of getting close with your professors and always asking for help when you need it,” said senior Justin Simmons.

At this point in the year, it is very easy to get stressed out with the amount of work you have to do. It’s important to have good time management skills when it comes to handling assignments and tests while still having a social life and paying close attention to your mental health.

“I wish I knew just because I have freedom doesn’t mean I can slack off,” senior CeAsiah Christmas said.

The first step to handling this would be to physically write down your tasks and to make lists. Planners really help to keep you organized and ensure you are managing your time well. If you feel stressed, do something that calms you or makes you happy, like reading, exercising or even taking a quick nap.

At the end of the day, college is an experience for you to learn a lot about yourself and use those tools for the rest of your life. It can be stressful, but in the end, you will find success and move the world!