Decorate your dorm this season

The best way to get into the Halloween spirit is to spook up your dorm with fun decorations. Your dorm room can get kind of boring, so take advantage of the holidays for a little change of scenery. And it doesn’t have to be expensive either; you can find a lot of Halloween decorations without breaking the bank or even make some yourself.

Simply hanging up a seasonal wreath on your door or finding a few plastic pumpkins to put on your desk can really transform your space. Fake spider webs from the craft store are a good idea for those who want something a bit spookier. Fall scents are a big favorite for many students, so use soaps, room sprays and wall plug-ins to embrace the new season.

Freshman Zeni Perez went shopping with her suitemates for some Halloween dorm decorations.

“We raided the aisles of TJ Maxx and HomeGoods for the deals, but we splurged a little at Bed Bath & Beyond,” Perez said.

You can find a lot of affordable Halloween décor near campus at CVS, the Dollar Tree and Party City.

“I got our decor from The Christmas Tree Shop, and I spent about $40 on two doormats, a wreath, soap, a quote block, a small pumpkin with a ‘T’ on it and a welcome sign,” freshman Tara Fitzgerald said. “Tips for budgeting is to go somewhere where it’s cheap and make sure you watch what you’re getting because it can add up fast.”

If buying dorm décor isn’t for you, no need to worry! Making your own decorations can be a fun project to do with your friends. Gather some construction paper, scissors and colored pencils or markers, and start making paper jack-o’-lanterns, witch hats, bats and ghosts to hang on the walls. An all-time favorite fall dorm décor activity is to decorate pumpkins! A great and less messy alternative to carving your pumpkins is to paint them. Invite some friends over, put on a scary movie and make a day out of it!

Halloween will be here before you know it! Get creative next weekend and make your dorm spooky and fun.