Adjusting to living away at college during your first year

Eileen Exama and Alison Robles, Contributing Writer and Editor-in-Chief

Moving into to college your freshman year can be a terrifying experience. Whether home is near or far, it can be difficult to adjust to a new environment when everything familiar to you is no longer nearby. It may be tempting to go home as often as possible your first semester, but college is also about being involved and making new connections. Iona’s Residential Life slogan is   “Make Iona Your Home,” so here are some tips on how to do just that and feel comfortable when you first come to college.

1. Make your college routine similar to your high school routine: Getting ready in high school versus getting ready in college are completely different morning routines. From having to use shower shoes to not being a few steps from your kitchen to get food, it can be a dramatic change. If you incorporate pieces of your old morning routine into your college routine you can uplift yourself by doing something familiar. For example, in high school if you used to make your bed first thing in the morning,incorporate that into your college routine.
  2. FaceTime, FaceTime, FaceTime: FOMO – the fear of missing out – is very real when you are not living at home. But thanks to the inventor of video calls, home is just a few minutes away. A 20-minute FaceTime call to talk with family or friends can help you stay connected to your loved ones even while you are away at school.
  3. Get Involved: One thing Iona does well is creating events, clubs and activities for students to mingle and get involved with each other no matter what year you are or what background you come from.

“Honestly living on campus is what you make it!” senior Genesis Mojica said. “Go to events, make friends and be yourself! But never forget to call home and do something that you love that keeps you centered and happy.”

1. Be Mindful: We have all gotten anxious over the day-to-day inconveniences that can make the any goal feel difficult to accomplish. It is easy to compare ourselves to others when we are surrounded by our peers, so it is important to learn healthy coping mechanisms and keep yourself in check. Try taking a few minutes each day to meditate and prioritize yourself in moments of conflict. And be sure to take advantage of the Counseling Center here on campus.

Getting through your first year may seem impossible in the beginning, but remember, everyone is in the same boat. At the end of the day you’re here to learn, so try to make the best of your years as a Gael.