How to achieve the best summer makeup looks

How to achieve the best summer makeup looks.

PHOTO FROM THE OFFICIAL JAMES CHARLES INSTAGRAM PAGE

Nia Sago, Staff Writer

Summer is right around the corner, and for the regular makeup users out there, this means it’s about that time to start switching up your makeup routine. With the weather getting warmer during the summer months, people tend to go for more natural makeup looks that will enhance their features that the warm summer sun brings out. Get ready to glow and read this guide on how to look your best this summer!

The first thing to tackle at the beginning of summer is what will be your go-to dewy summertime makeup look. The key to having a long-lasting beautiful base is something that is many times looked over: Primer.

Depending on your skin type, the steps in your routine will vary. Whether you have dry, oily or combination skin, you should try starting off with a hydrating moisturizer and primer combo. This will help to make sure your skin is properly hydrated and ready for complexion products. Try the Smashbox Photo Finish Primerizer for an all-in-one moisture barrier that will help your makeup last throughout the day! To protect your skin from the sun, make sure to also find an SPF to wear under your complexion products. However, these products are best for daytime because at night, if you take flash photography, you will experience flashback! A good one to look into is the Aveeno Daily Moisturizer with SPF 15.

How dewy you want your makeup look to be will determine what kind of base complexion product you should use next. For a light makeup look, or if you need something quick and on-the-go—like most of us during the summer—try a BB cream or light coverage foundation. My favorite trick is to mix in a little of my favorite moisturizer with any foundation to sheer out the coverage. Let’s face it, when it’s hot outside not all of us want to have layers upon layers of makeup on our faces. Some people prefer to stick with the dewy finish and go for a more hydrating and dewy foundation. However, others prefer to switch to a more matte finish foundation, as they seem to last longer on the skin.

“The Fenty Beauty Pro Filt’r Soft Matte Longwear Foundation has worked for me since its initial launch,” junior Adrianna Solhjoo said. “Although it may be matte, if you use the right products underneath, you can still achieve that glow-y, dewy finish that everyone loves in the summertime. Fenty has lasted me days in the summer up to 12 hours, and nothing is better than to not have to worry about your makeup slipping around.”

Your next step is to continue with your normal routine: concealer, powder, contour/highlight and so forth. This step is what will really make you feel unstoppable. Highlight has been an increasingly popular part of peoples’ makeup routines over the past few years. In the summer, your highlight will blind people while you walk around campus, and you will be known for that classic summertime glow.

The most reflective highlights come in loose powder form, such as your typical translucent powder. A beautiful one that is also super affordable is the Wet n’ Wild MegaGlo Loose Highlighting Powder, which goes for around $5-$8, depending on where you buy it. This highlighting powder comes in a variety of shades, so you’re sure to find something that works for you. I recommend applying this with a large highlighting brush for maximum glow or even a sponge for a more natural look. Bonus tip: Try mixing some of this with baby oil and applying to your body for an all-around summer “glazed donut” look.

Finish off your beautiful summer makeup routine with a setting spray of your choice. My personal favorite is a little bit of the Mac Prep + Prime Fix + Shimmer in Goldlite, topped off with Urban Decay’s All Nighter Setting Spray.

Now that you know how to achieve a flawless summer makeup look, let’s talk about some trends. We all know that trends come around and change when the seasons do. The first and biggest trend for this summer is color. Color can be incorporated into your look with eyeshadows, blushes, lipsticks and so much more. Ever since the release of the very highly anticipated James Charles x Morphe Cosmetics Palette, we have been seeing so many more vibrant, beautiful colors used in the fashion industry for shows, in the beauty community in campaigns and in everyday life. James Charles’ “Unleash Your Inner Artist” movement has had a huge impact in the beauty community, having people step outside of their comfort zone with their makeup and absolutely loving it.

“I feel like now people including myself want to go so outside of the box with their makeup and I love it,” junior Nina Purut said. “It makes it so not everybody always looks the same anymore.”

The James Charles x Morphe Palette has had several release dates and always sells out, so keep an eye out on social media to see when the next time you can grab one is!

Another trend we will be seeing this summer is the classic no-makeup makeup look. This is something that comes around every summer and will continue to be extremely popular. During the warmer months, when most of us are focusing on enjoying our summer, our relationship with makeup changes. We either don’t want to be wearing a lot of makeup because it can get uncomfortable in the heat, or we don’t want to waste time putting on a full face of makeup when we could be enjoying the sunshine.

This no-makeup look can be achieved in so many different ways and there is no right or wrong way to do it. I recommend priming and moisturizing, putting on concealer under your eyes and any other scarring that you want to be hidden, powdering only where you get oily or your makeup tends to crease, putting on a liquid highlighter for that classic glow, defining your eyebrows with brow gel, using mascara to bring out your eyes—or eyelash extensions which make the process so much quicker—and then just applying some lip gloss and you’re good to go. Just like our parents always told us, sometimes less is more, and having more sheer makeup can be a lot more appealing and comfortable for your summertime look.

If you use these tips and tricks as your guide to your summer cosmetics, you are sure to kill it this season. Remember, it is okay to step out of your comfort zone and try new things. Who knows, you just may find something you love. Have a great, stress free summer and we will talk more about makeup, fashion and lifestyle next semester!