Iona students celebrate Spring Weekend

Alison Robles, Managing Editor

Iona held its annual Spring Weekend from April 25 to 28, featuring events such as an International Carnival, Gael Jam, and the Spring Concert.

The Gael Activities Board sponsored the events along with the Office of Student Development, the Office of Mission and Ministry, the Black Student Union, the Iona International Club and the Fashion Club.

According to GAB President Lily Tucci, the planning process for Spring Weekend typically begins in the mid-fall. The GAB e-board meets with an agent to discuss options for potential concert performers and then discusses the budget and other logistics.

“The planning and execution is about perseverance and adaptability,” Tucci said in an email interview. “Not everything will always go as planned, so my e-board needs to be prepared with alternatives while still being enthusiastic.”

The first event that kicked off the weekend was the International Carnival on April 25 in the Mulcahy Gymnasium.

The event featured on-campus multicultural clubs and a variety of carnival games. The Iona College Pep Band also performed.

On April 26, BSU and the Fashion Club hosted the Spring Weekend Party in the Burke Lounge, which featured a live DJ.

The Office of Mission and Ministry hosted sponsored Gael Jam on Saturday, April 27 in Mulcahy. Students could get free burgers and hotdogs, sample Hubert’s Lemonade, paint Frisbees, get air-spray tattoos and have a caricature done.

Sophomore Megan Fisher attended Gael Jam with her roommates.

“It’s a good way to wind down and hang out with friends before finals start,” Fisher said.

The event also featured live music from the band Passionate Pursuit, as well as performances from several Iona students. At night, students attend the Roller Rave, a roller-skating dance party which was sponsored by BSU and the Fashion Club.

The closing event of the weekend was a concert with rapper and singer SuperDuperKyle on April 28.

“I was super excited during his performance,” junior Genesis Matias said. “He is an excellent performer and played some of my favorite songs. I was literally screaming!”

For Tucci, the Sunday night concert is an important aspect of Spring Weekend.

“[The concert] only started 4 years ago when I was a freshman, and it truly added to my Iona experience,” Tucci said. “No matter who the artist is, it’s an opportunity for you and your peers to experience great live music.”

For students, Spring Weekend is often the last moment before finals to truly destress.

“I think Spring Weekend is important because, arguably, spring semester is the toughest,” Matias said. “It’s a nice break from the boatload of work and stress I have to do.”

For GAB and the other on-campus offices and clubs in charge of organizing the weekend, Spring Weekend is about serving the students to provide them with a great experience.

“Spring Weekend is what you make of it,” Tucci said. “If you want to see something that weekend, make sure your voice is heard and you are committed to your fellow Gaels.”