Tips, tricks for maintaining your GPA for the rest of spring semester

Katherine Daly, Staff Writer

Congratulations, the semester’s almost over and you seem to have made it through in one piece! However, you still have a sense of urgency about raising your GPA before the semester ends. Maybe it wasn’t your best semester, and that’s okay – things happen. That said, instead of kicking yourself, try a different approach and take advantage of this last month to raise your grades. Whether you’re a hard worker, more of a slacker or somewhere in between, here are five great tips that can help you improve your GPA.

1. Make realistic goals

Goals are not meant to be impossible to accomplish. So, let’s take a logical step and look at what you can do. For example, if you currently have a 2.7, there’s no way that your GPA can jump to a 4.0 by the end of the semester. Just remember big leaps of improvement take time, and that is something you don’t have a lot of. If you do have a 2.7, minimize your goal to a 2.9 or even to a 3.0, which is a lot more realistic.

2. Actually study this time

As children, we learned that homework and studying are no fun. It might have seemed boring and useless to a little kid, especially if you didn’t like school. However, our parents were right in saying it was important. Most of us probably don’t want to hear this, but studying is vital if you want your GPA to improve. Studying aids us in our ability to learn. It also gives us knowledge that we can use throughout our lives, regardless of the careers we choose.

3. Talk to your professor

Like it or not, your professors can be a useful asset to take advantage of if you are feeling stuck. After all, it’s their job to help you learn and improve. They can make recommendations for you if you actually go see them, or at least just shoot them an email. They’re actually a valuable college resource that most students forget about.

4. Change your habits

Okay, so maybe you tried the studying thing and it didn’t work. Now it’s your job to figure out why. Were you staying up all night to study? Did you not plan enough time to look over your notes? Were you distracted by your phone or TV when you were trying to go through flashcards? All these situations can potentially affect your study habits. Once you assess your study tactics, it won’t take long for you to improve your habits and ultimately raise your GPA.

5. Ask for some help

Don’t just sit there in class and expect your professors to think for you. If you feel lost or confused, don’t panic. There are many types of people at this school that are willing to help you. This can be a friend or even a tutor. Iona’s Rudin Center, located on the ground level of Amend Hall, can be a great resource for tutoring. As soon as you start to get confused on a topic, go get some help! Don’t delay and try to stay on top of your work. You will be amazed at the difference this will make in your GPA, as even having small review sessions can be powerful.

There are lots of tricks you can use to improve your GPA, but the real magic comes from you. It doesn’t work if you don’t work hard. Just remember, life goes on and this problem you seem to have is just an insignificant little piece of it, so don’t worry too much. In the end, just try to put the effort in and do your best.