A look at Iona’s Council for Greek Governance, impact Greek life has on students

OFFICIAL COUNCIL FOR GREEK GOVERNANCE AT IONA INSTAGRAM

The Council for Greek Governance e-board (both past and current members seen above) help make sure Greek organizations are participating in philanthropic activities such as Relay for Life.

Krystal Ortiz, Assistant News Editor

Many students participate in Greek life at Iona. A big part of Greek life is the Council for Greek Governance. The main responsibility of the organization is to make and enforce policies of the fraternities and sororities on campus.

Senior Hannah Schultz, president of CGG, said that CGG enforces rules to keep members of Greek life accountable.

“We are in charge of all the different organizations and all the members on campus,” Schultz said. “We have rules in place and we make sure that they follow all the rules and that they are held to a certain standard. We also plan major events for Greek life like street cleanups and philanthropy things.”

Sophomore Siena Clarke, the CGG Recruitment Chair and a member of the Psi Kappa Theta sorority said that she has made some of her closest friends in Greek life.

“As cliché as it sounds, I have met my bridesmaids here,” Clarke said. “We have had the most relatable experiences together, we are really similar…that’s what’s cool about being in a sorority because you share the same experiences, whether it’s an event you do, like  fundraising. It just opened a lot of doors for me.”

Residents, off-campus students and commuters alike are a part of Iona’s sororities and fraternities. Each person has a different perspective on how the organization has affected their experience at Iona.

Many members of the Greek life organizations say that one of the most important parts of Greek life is the sense of community it can provide.

“It [Greek life] has given me a support system and family away from home,” senior Cathryn McLaughlin, a member of Psi Kappa Theta, said. “It has given me a group of young women who have taught me the beauty and value in being your true self.”

“I have enjoyed my experience and the connections I have made with people,” junior Paola Cedeno, who is a part of the Phi Gamma Chi sorority, added. “It takes a while to get to know people, but so far it has been great and I would do it all over again if I could just to get to know everybody again.”

Senior Sean King has had similar experiences with his fraternity, Pi Kappa Phi.

“Ultimately, what Greek life gave me was the opportunity to meet and get close with a wide range of people that I may not have met if not for it,” King said. “I believe that one of the most important ways to grow as a person is to meet and talk with as many different kinds of people as you can. Iona College, Pi Kappa Phi, and Greek life has given me this opportunity, and I will always be grateful for that.”

Many members of fraternities and sororities say that Greek life has had a major impact on their experience of Iona.

“IKO has given me so much more than I could have ever imagined. It has given me the foundation to be able to grow to be my best possible self here at Iona,” McLaughlin said. “Joining Greek life truly has shaped my college experience into something great.”