How theater changed my life

Kelly Farrell, Chief Photo Editor

Theater has always been a huge part of my life. I followed in my brother’s and sister’s footsteps and enrolled in the summer plays in my town since I was 9 years old. While I took a bit of a hiatus in high school because I was focusing on playing soccer, once I came to Iona I knew it was my time to focus on theater again.

Since being at Iona for the past four years, I have been in a lot of shows, musicals, variety shows, improv shows and skits through the student-run theatre group on campus, the Iona Players. I have met my best friends for life through theater at Iona. Some of my most fun and memorable moments at Iona have been at rehearsals or performing in shows, and this past semester we have been working tirelessly to put together the musical “Mamma Mia,” which opens Feb. 28.

Theater is a means of expressing yourself and allows you the opportunity to be someone else for a short time. I love the fact that I have played so many different types of characters in all of my productions and I have taken a piece of them with me after every show has closed. I have grown through theater and was able to find my confidence at a young age because of it.

The feeling of being up on-stage, making people laugh or just feeling something, is amazing. I especially love comedic roles because making people laugh is my favorite thing to do. Hearing a roar of laughter from the audience after a punch-line is the best feeling, and it allows me to feel like I have made a difference in their lives.

Theater is a way to escape everyday life and focus on a fantasy world, even if it’s just for a few hours. Being able to watch your company grow along with you through the rehearsal process is so rewarding and brings everyone closer together. I have met so many people that I would have never had the opportunity of knowing if it were not for theater. I feel so proud at the end of the run of our shows knowing that we started with just a stack of scripts and turned it into art.

Further, being able to work with directors that are so knowledgeable in the field is rewarding and has helped me grow as an actor. Having someone watch your run-throughs and scenes to give you advice and guidance allows the art to take form. If it were not for theater, I would not be the person I am today and for that I am forever grateful.