Live-action ‘Kim Possible’ movie childish but nostalgic

Brian Connors, A&E Editor

Disney’s live-action agenda is beginning to branch beyond its classic films. “Kim Possible,” the popular children’s cartoon that aired from 2002 to 2007, received the live-action treatment with a new cinematic adventure. “Kim Possible” premiered on the Disney Channel on Feb. 15.

Unlike Disney’s other reboots, “Kim Possible” is not intended to appeal to mass audiences – its main purpose is to entertain children. As a nostalgic, Kim Possible superfan, this was a tough pill to swallow, but watching the film was still a fun experience.

“Kim Possible” follows our favorite “basic, average girl who is here to save the world” as she faces her biggest mission yet – the first day of high school. Kim is excited because if she can save the world from evil, Middleton High should be a breeze! Unfortunately, she quickly discovers that it is not as easy as she thought, and the movie’s themes focus heavily on kids putting too much pressure on themselves to be perfect.

Kim befriends the new girl Athena. At first, she is happy to take the clumsy, dorky girl under her wing. However, the minute Athena starts to surpass Kim in everything from soccer to superhero missions, KP starts bugging! Therefore, the movie also stresses the importance of being happy for your friend’s successes, despite your own occasional shortcomings.

The film’s victories are rooted in the joy of seeing moments that defined the original show come to life. Things like hearing Ron Stoppable scream “Booya!” or hearing Kim ask Wade “What’s the sitch?” made me smile. The movie even opens with a shot-by-shot remake of the show’s popular theme song. Amazing!

The movie does a great job making Rufus – Ron’s naked mole rat pal – realistic for live-action. Instead of buying Rufus at a pet store, Ron and Kim find Rufus at a lab where animals were being tested on with human DNA. The movie also features Christy Carlson Romano, the original voice of Kim Possible, in a brief cameo.

With all that said, as a superfan of the show, I had a few complaints. For one, the movie makes Kim a soccer player instead of a cheerleader. I am not sure if this was to inspire young girls to play sports, but cheerleading was a pretty defining characteristic of my girl KP!

Overall, this movie is never going to be something that college students watch multiple times. Despite being based on a show we loved, it was created to introduce a new generation to the positive messages of one dynamic red-headed superhero.

Regardless, I totally recommend watching it with your friends, as it is still a fun hour of nostalgia that will certainly put a smile on your face.