Perks of being a resident versus being a commuter at Iona

MARCOM

Iona residents and commuters can have different but equally enjoyable experiences during their time at the college.

Maria Desir, Staff Writer

There are two types of people that make up the student body at a college: residents, those that live on campus, and commuters, those that live off. The college experience may be very different based on which type of student you are, but there are pros and cons to both.

Residential Life

1. Freedom

A resident is basically an independent young adult. This freedom comes with being able to make your own decisions, as well as not having your parents around to tell you when to complete your homework assignments or do your chores.

1. Everything is within your reach.

As a resident, you have easy access to everything on campus. This includes benefits such as living near campus buildings.

“Being a resident gives me the benefit of living in a close community,” AJ Liles, a sophomore who is a resident in Conese Hall, said. “I create bonds and friendships that will last a lifetime. Also, I personally believe that it doesn’t matter if you are a commuter or resident to have a great college life. As long as you are involved and be the best that you can be to make the most of your college experience.”

Moreover, making it to on-campus events as a resident will rarely ever be an issue. A resident just has to hop out of bed, put shoes on and head across campus to attend a party, club meeting or conference.

“It’s super convenient,” Stephanie DiGiovanna, a junior who lives in North Avenue Residence Hall, said. “If there’s a late night event, you can go to it without having to get home really late.”

1. What is travel time?

As a resident, you don’t have to worry about waking up early at the crack of dawn to travel to school. In fact, you can sleep in, wake up 10 minutes before class and make it on time, all while a student commuting from the Bronx is still stuck in traffic.

“You don’t have to worry about waking up a few hours in advance to get to your class on time,” DiGiovanna said. “Traffic isn’t something that you have to think about when you get up in the morning.”

Commuter Life

1. Money

Being a resident can be costly with room-and-board fees. Hence, a budget-conscious commuter would prefer to spend money on other necessities. This type of student has a much better financial advantage since they only have to worry about paying for tuition and books for class.

1. Comfort

Most students would prefer to be in the comfort of their own home, sleep in their own room and not worry about a roommate eating their food or taking too long in the bathroom.

“Being a commuter, I have the benefit of having comforts that only come from being home,” sophomore Ashley Blake, a commuter from Queens, said.

1. What is homesickness?

This is a foreign concept to commuters. Unlike most residents, most commuters go back home to their loved ones after school.

Despite the differences between these Iona students, they’ve all reached a common ground: one does not have to live on or off campus to make the most out of these four years. Making the personal decisionto be involved, explore and network with other students and professionals while at college is what makes the college experience truly impactful.