Dear Iona: Dating in College

Krystal Ortiz Staff Writer

Dating in college can be both fun and difficult at times. However, let us not forget about our single students as well! With the spirit of Valentine’s Day in the air, Iona students were asked about all the ups and downs of dating and being single!

Dating Upside: “[An upside of dating is] definitely having someone to go through it all with,” sophomore Alexis Ayrey said. “[It] makes it a lot easier. If something is really stressing me out, he’s there to calm me down, or if it’s something I’m really proud of, he’s the first person I go to tell.”

Dating Downside: “I think it’s just like finding enough time to spend with each other but balancing work, internships and school all at the same time,” Ayrey said. “It’s like making sure you’re not neglecting each other but having enough time to do things you have to do first.”

Dating Upside: “I guess you could say it’s the proximity,” senior Joseph Cureton said. “I’ve always got someone in my corner. If I’m having a rough day because college is tough, it’s good to know they know how to cheer me up.”

Dating Downside: “I’d definitely say that neither one of us is really stable,” Cureton said. “We’re both college students so we have a lot going on at all times so it’s hard to do things together sometimes.”

Single Upside: “I feel more independent. I feel like I can do whatever I want, whenever I want,” senior Jason Fermin said. “I feel like I can live my life. I feel like I have more time for my friends and my studies.”

Single Downside: “When I’m hanging out with my friends that are in relationships, it sort of feels like I’m missing out on something, but normally I don’t feel that way,” Fermin said.

Single Upside: “I have more time for myself,” senior Edtzah Verdejo said. “I don’t have to be worrying so much about them being okay or if I did something wrong.”

Single Upside: “Being able to go out and mingle,” senior Matt David said.

What are the essentials for a relationship?

“Communication,” senior Olivia Wiggan said. “Constant communication and just the willingness to understand that the other person has things that they have to do, too.”

“Someone who lets me be myself unapologetically and wholeheartedly,” Fermin said. “Someone who gets along with my friends, and someone who knows what they want for the future, not just the present.”

Whether you are hanging out with your partner, or chilling by yourself this Valentine’s Day, always remember to enjoy the experience.