A true go-getter…

Everyone knows Resident Assistants play a tremendously important role in the residential life at Iona College.  From the first floor meeting of the semester, to the programs, and eventually the saddening checkout, they are there for you.  RA’s are meant to be a building block, a friend, and role models to their residents.  They are responsible for maintaining a safe and friendly environment for all those under their care. Without further adieu, meet another of Iona’s finest. Meet: Pat McLaughlin!

Where are you located on Iona’s Campus?

I am located in South Hall on the fifth floor as a first-year RA.

What interested you in becoming and R.A.?

At first I was hesitant of becoming an RA, but with a friend’s encouragement I went out for the job.  I tend to be a good leader and motivator, so I thought the RA position allowed me to expand on these skills and bring people together as one.

What would you say is your favorite part of your job?

I have to say that one of my favorite parts of my job is the residents themselves.  As a first year RA, I got truly lucky with the group of individuals on my floor.  It was a welcome change to be back on campus and immersed back into the residential community, after living off campus last year.

What are some of your favorite hobbies, or free-time activities?

In my free-time I like to participate in a wide array of activities.  Sports have always played a big part, as some of my favorites are Intramural Volleyball on campus (Sizzlin’ Bacon domination), surfing, and snowboarding.  On the flip side, acting is hobby of mine and I participated in the Iona Players last year.  It’s a good way to relax and take a break from work.

Is there anything you would like to say to the Iona residential community?

If there was one thing I could say to inspire the Iona residential community it would be, “Don’t be afraid to try anything at least once!” You have to be outgoing and try new things.  I once did stand-up comedy at the Coffee House (which everyone should come out to) and ended up landing another gig.  If you enjoy it and think you’re good at something, go out and do it! You may even surprise yourself!