Jump into journalism

Alana KeeleyStaff Writer

A new school year means new friends, classes, professors and of course, new clubs to join.  There are many various clubs students can join at the beginning of the year. Being a freshman myself, there are many clubs I have yet to hear of.  One club in particular that has been dormant for a year or so but has since then came back from obscurity is The Student Society of Professional Journalists.

This journalism society is made up of a student chapter of an international organization of journalists. Anyone who is passionate enough about journalism should definitely join and becoming a member has never been so easy. All you have to do is show up for the meetings every other Thursday starting Sept. 30.

Even if you aren’t an aspiring journalist or journalism major, you can still join this exciting newly restored club. Becoming a member of this society has many benefits for students at Iona College.   The benefits include building up one’s resume and educational and networking opportunities every young aspiring journalist should desire to have.  This society has internship like qualities that every student should at least try to experience. This society gives students the “real life” experience of being a journalist and gives them the opportunity to decide if they want to pursue this career for their life’s work.

There are many other reasons why journalism majors should try this eye opening society. Besides all the resume building and career opportunities it can give oneself, it also plans a lot of fun trips that gives students a first hand look at their future career.   Field trips and lectures from some of the best media outlets are being planned for the society. SJP Moderator, Professor Jack Breslin comments on the upcoming festivities.

“We plan to invite guest speakers from the NYC media community and develop free-lance writing and reporting connections with local publications,” Breslin said.

The Student Society of Professional Journalists is also planning many field trips including an exciting trip to the Newseum in Washington D.C. as well as many other SJP conferences.

Newly elected Club President Chris Massaro is very excited about this society as well.

“I would like to encourage all journalism majors to take part in this society. It will only benefit those who join,” Massaro said. “If you have a strong desire to write and report the news, then this is the society to join. Students need to be proactive and take initiative during their college years. Gaining experience and networking is

crucial to a students future, and this club will allow all of its members to do so.” 

One other note that cannot be stressed enough is what this society will do for a future journalist’s career. SJP Moderator Professor Breslin joined this society when he was a young graduate student at the University of Georgia and it helped expand his media career.  This society certainly helped Professor Breslin and you can only imagine what it can do for your future career.

The Student Society of Professional Journalists meet every other Thursday.. Please contact SJP moderator, Professor Jack Breslin at [email protected] or SJP President Chris Massaro at [email protected] for more information.