Students join Delta Sigma Epsilon

Amanda KellyStaff Writer

After a fun and successful Family and Homecoming weekend filled with activities and sporting events, Iona College celebrated the Fall Honors Convocation on Oct. 24. 

Thirty-eight students from the School of Arts and Science and 19 students from the Hagan School of Business were inducted into Iona’s Delta Epsilon chapter of Delta Epsilon Sigma. 

Delta Epsilon Sigma is the national honor society of colleges in the Catholic tradition which recognizes academic excellence and encourages members to remain lifelong learners.

Senior Joseph Madonna, newly elected Vice President of the Delta Epsilon Chapter of Delta Epsilon Sigma, began the ceremony with an invocation before the presentation of the new inductees.

The ceremony also honored Professor of English at Barnard College Achsah Guibbory.  Guibbory was presented with an honorary degree from Iona College by Associate Professor of English Amy Stackhouse and Iona College President Br. James A. Liguori.

Guibbory addressed the inductees, faculty, and guests with her speech “Journeys and Discoveries: On Being a Scholar,” in which she discussed her current research and the idea that as much as we may want to digress from our past, our past will always play a crucial role in our lives.

Finally, Liguori issued his congratulatory remarks reminding the inductees that they should not focus on limitations, but instead try to overcome them.  “I will’ is a great way to live our lives,” Liguori said, urging the inductees to see their potential to reach their goals.

“I thought that Br. Ligouri’s emphasis on ‘I will’ was very inspirational. I believe that all the new members of Delta Epsilon Sigma will continue to do great things at Iona, and will go on to do great things after we graduate as well,” senior Alex Egiziano said. Egizaino was inducted in Delta Epsilon Sigma under his Criminal Justice major.

After the Convocation ceremony, a reception was held in Ryan Library. Food was served while the new members of Delta Epsilon Sigma celebrated their achievements and mingled with friends, family and faculty.

The Convocation served as the finale of a successful Homecoming and Family Weekend.

Congratulations to all of the new inductees of Delta Epsilon Sigma!