Fast Five draws a friendly crowd

Students enjoy “Fast Five” from the top of Walsh Hill.

Last Wednesday, the 25th, Iona had a viewing of “Fast Five” on the hill outside of the LaPenta Student Union. The event was sponsored by the Gael Activities Board and offered Iona students the chance to catch the film before it comes out on DVD.

Serving as another follow-up to the critically acclaimed “Fast and the Furious,” “Fast Five” hit theaters this summer and features actors Vin Diesel, Paul Walker, Dwayne Johnson and actress Jordana Brewster. The film follows the characters as they attempt to pull off a heist for $100 million in Brazil as they are pursued by US DSS agents.

The turnout for the campus event was good, though not overwhelming. There was a modest crowd gathered on the hill ready for the viewing, waiting for the film to begin. The atmosphere was a quiet, friendly one. The viewing got under way, with the sounds of cars and engines echoing off the hillside as the crowd enjoyed the high speed car chase and gunfight scenes.

Unfortunately, the rest of the evening did not continue as smoothly. There were some technical difficulties and the film stopped playing. Despite their best efforts, the staff could not get the film to continue, and in a bide to keep the event going, the film “Happy Gilmore” featuring Adam Sandler was chosen to be played in its place.

Though “Happy Gilmore” is an older movie, released in 1996, it has a large following, which made it a good choice to keep the evening going. While the event was themed around “Fast Five,” most of the crowd did not disperse when “Happy Gilmore” was shown after the mechanical failure.

Overall, even though the event had a difficulty to overcome, the evening boasted a modest turnout, and by all accounts the students enjoyed themselves.