Iona community collaborates to ‘Cram the Van’

Stasi FormicaStaff Writer

Gather your friends and head to the store, it’s time to Cram the Van! Oct. 22 marked the kick-off to the on-going service event designed to support our troops overseas. The goal: fill the donated Humvee with supplies to send to the men and women who are away from home, their friends and their family.

To kick-off the event, an Honor Guard presented the flags during half-time at the rugby game during the homecoming celebration this past weekend. Joining the Guard were the Iona Singers, proudly performing our national anthem for the crowd. Spectators were encouraged by President of the Tara Knights Society Timothy Cahill and President of the newly formed Students Uniting for Veterans Club Maureen Cummins to donate to the cause.

Sponsored by on-campus organizations like Students Uniting for Veterans, Tara Knights Society, Edmund Rice Society, the Ionian and Model UN, many people have come together to make this event possible.  The groups all “joined together to try and honor and support our troops stationed overseas to bring them the comforts of home,” said Cahill. 

The war seems to have taken the back-burner lately, considering the current economic situation gripping hold of our country. “The troops are away from family and friends for months at a time, and certainly deserve recognition and respect,” said Cummins. Cram the Van  served as a welcome reminder to many, and will undoubtedly brighten up the day of the men and women who receive these donations.

Iona College sophomore Chelsea Champion, whose brother is a Marine, was impressed with the event. “Not everyone has a connection like that,” she said, “so it’s good to see people supporting the troops.” For others like Champion, this project hits close to home. There is a collection of addresses for friends and family of those in the Iona Community who are serving in the military so that supplies may be sent to them wherever they are stationed.

Donated items will be distributed through Support Our Troops, an organization located in Larchmont. “I hope that the entire Iona community, not just students, will get involved in this program,” Cahill said. “If we just donate a few dollars or a few items we can make their time away from home momentarily better.”

Cram the Van is a great way to reach out to our fellow Americans thousands of miles away. “The soldiers really appreciate [care packages] a lot,” said Champion. After being away for so long homesickness can take its toll. “They can feel really disconnected from home,” she said.

As President Nyre’s inauguration approaches, this Cram the Van event couldn’t have been timelier. “We recognize his service in the United States Navy,” said Cummins. The project will continue throughout the week leading to the inauguration this upcoming Friday, Oct. 28.

What kinds of items can be donated? Travel-sized toiletries, microwaveable food items, magazines, batteries and pre-paid phone cards are all acceptable items to donate. For a complete listing, visit www.carepackagedrive.com. 

It is also possible to donate money to the cause, as each box costs about $15 to ship. You can sponsor a box by purchasing one of the green Cram the Van shirts. It is also possible to make a donation online by visiting www.iona.edu. 

If you have any friends or family overseas, or know someone who does, it is possible to get a package sent to them in time for the Holiday season. For more information please contact Maureen Cummins at [email protected] or Timothy Cahill at [email protected]. “I’m excited and honored to be a part of this project,” said Cummins, “as a community I know we can make it a huge success!”

The kick-off to Cram the Van was certainly a success. As the day went on more and more green Cram the Van support shirts decorated the crowds.  Hopefully we can all work together to make the rest of the event a success as well.