Residential Life staff turns Endzone into Ionamont

Claire MaurerStaff Writer

On Oct. 11, nine members of Iona College’s Residential Life Staff held an alcohol awareness event called Ionamont, inviting members of the college community to come have a mocktail and listen to some live music.

Even though the Resident Assistants only had about a week and a half to develop, advertise and organize the event, attendees filled the LaPenta End Zone.

“Time was no problem for the RA’s,” said members of the staff. Sarah Collins, one of the organizers as well as the MC for the night said, “When you have the support and bond that the RA’s have for one another, you aren’t as nervous.”

The purpose of the event was to have a fun night for students while allowing them to learn about the dangers of drinking alcohol. There were two water pong tables set up, mocktails and snacks and there were facts regarding alcohol and its risks around the whole room.

Jackie Ripepi of the Iona College Counseling Center gave a short presentation on the dangers of drinking and advice if one does decide to engage in alcohol.

One of the main attractions of the night was the student performers, Tyler Conroy, Tom Ford, Alex Cammett and Brian Sears, who all performed a few songs. Each performer did an exceptional job in singing their songs, some of which were completely original. All the students at the event were very engaged in the performances and seemed to be sincerely appreciating the talents throughout the night.

“They were incredible and they seem to have a real fan following these days,” said senior Lindsay DeCarlo on the performers.

DeCarlo was one of the nine RA’s to organize the event, alongside fellow staff members Michelle Rosenbrock, Maria Pelosi, Caitlin O’Toole, Molly Sheehan, Sasha Dias, Sarah Collins, Rae Scalisi and Conroy.

Overall, the turnout for Ionamont was a huge success, and it provided a lot of fun, entertainment and education for the students. The event received excellent feedback.

“As far as the overall turnout I think it was great,” said Pelosi. “A lot of people were there, and everyone that went had a great time. I think it is important to show students that you can go out and have fun without alcohol.”

Cammett commented, “It had a really good turnout, and I believe the event overall was a success and everyone who came enjoyed themselves.”

Ionamont was an important RA program that served as a great on-campus event. The Residential Life Staff did a remarkable job putting everything together as well as teaching students that fun and alcohol don’t always have to mix.