Nyre, staff discuss his history at Iona, expectations for college’s future

Nyre’s son Henry spoke about his dad at President Nyre’s inauguration.

Alison Robles and Ryan McFadden

Iona College announced on Feb. 4 that Dr. Joseph E. Nyre would be leaving Iona to become the president of Seton Hall University.

Nyre, who began his tenure in 2011, is the eighth president at Iona. He will be staying at Iona as acting president until Aug. 1.

According to a press release from the college, Iona has launched many new projects under Nyre’s tenure such as the construction of the LaPenta School of Business and the creation of the Hynes Institute for Entrepreneurship and Innovation.

Dr. Elena Procario-Foley, associate professor of religious studies, spoke about the impact that Nyre has had on the college during his presidency.

“Dr. Nyre has left an indelible imprint on the history of the college in a relatively short period,” Procario-Foley said in an email interview. “He has created initiatives to recognize faculty achievement and funds to support faculty-student research and I expect these programs will continue to bear fruit for the Iona community.”

During an interview with The Ionian, Nyre spoke of his accomplishments during his tenure at the college, which also includes implementing the new core curriculum and new academic programs such as the Occupational Therapy program, securing endowments for the college, and creating scholarships and financial affordability for students. Nyre said that looking back at his time at Iona, he is most proud of the students on campus.

“To embrace our students and to be active in the life of the college and [the students’] lives,” Nyre said. “I’m proud of that. And I’m proud of when I walk across campus and students greet me and tell me they know who I am and that I’m here for them. At the end of the day, it’s about [the] students.”

Dr. Michele Sampson-Nelson, assistant vice provost of student services, began working at Iona in 2005. She reflected on the growth she has seen on campus since Nyre first took on his role as president.

“One of my favorite ways he has changed Iona is through his true commitment to shared governance,” Sampson-Nelson said in an email interview. “Also, because of the way Dr. Nyre values shared governance, I truly admire and appreciate how strong the student voice is in campus decision making.”

Iona has a strategic plan that has created a foundation for the college to grow in the future. According to Nyre, the three key themes within this plan are improving student experience at the college, elevating the academic distinction and reputation of the college, and recruiting and retaining talent in the faculty and staff of the college.

For Nyre, Iona students play a key role in making this plan a success.

“I would encourage students to come to the Town Hall meetings and be active participants in helping us put together our strategy,” Nyre said. “This is your college and we need your help.”

In the future, Sampson-Nelson feels that Nyre’s influence will remain to be an important factor.

“Dr. Nyre put the building blocks in place to prepare Iona for our next steps,” Sampson-Nelson said. “When a new president arrives, he or she will help usher in a new strategic plan that will succeed because of the foundation Dr. Nyre helped to lay.”

While the next president of the college is not yet certain, Procario-Foley believes that Iona will continue to grow.

“The Iona College community will adapt as it always does when the presidency changes hands,” Procario-Foley said. “The transition is always a time of excitement and fraught with questions that won’t be answered until sometime in the next president’s tenure…I have no doubt that Dr. Nyre has left us on solid ground and that with the help of faculty, student leaders, and administration, the transition will go smoothly and Ionians will continue to build on Dr. Nyre’s legacy.”