Students go global with study abroad programs

Traditionally, many students seek out higher education in a location close to home out of convenience and comfort. Yet in todays increasingly globalized society, it is becoming more and more necessary to expand one’s horizons and raise global awareness. This step outside of the comfort zone can be a step in the right direction. For students, that can be achieved through college study abroad programs.

For over 25 years Iona has sponsored various ongoing study abroad programs. These opportunities range from a week to an entire year abroad, depending on the program, and allow students to receive class credits towards their degree while experiencing a different culture.

Though it is also an option for students to travel the world independently, studying abroad through a college program offers a unique experience complete with its own advantages from which students can prosper academically, personally and professionally.

Assistant to the Director of Study Abroad Robert Bucci said, “Students, by being immersed in a foreign culture with their peers, develop beneficial intrapersonal and interpersonal qualities that will aid in rendering them dynamic contributors to the global community as well as to their respective localities.”

Though programs may seem expensive, one should regard each experience as an investment. Participating in a study abroad program certainly offers students countless benefits. To be considered is the exposure to unfamiliar cultures and a global economy. In an increasingly globalized society, employers are always looking for more culturally well-rounded candidates for employment.

Director of Study Abroad George Mangiero said, “Study Abroad allows students to exercise more independence in their lives and also triggers a shift in thinking from American-centric to a more global view.”

Iona currently offers one academic year program, two semester-long programs, six summer programs and a one-week study abroad offered during Spring Break, as well as a handful of pending travel opportunities.

The year-long program at Oxford University in England is a scholarship program offered exclusively to two students during their junior year. The selected students must have a 3.5 GPA and complete an application process to ensure qualifications are met. During spring semester of sophomore year, all students with the required GPA of 3.5 will receive an email concerning eligibility for this prestigious program.

Two semester-long programs are also offered. In both the fall and spring semesters, students can enjoy studying in the city of Perth on the western coast of Australia at the University of Notre Dame – Australia. A spring semester program is also available in Ireland at the Marino Institute of Education in Dublin. An identical Fall semester program to Ireland will be forthcoming in fall 2012.

Sophomore Kimberleigh Costanzo, who will be traveling to Ireland this spring, said, “I decided to participate in the Ireland semester program because I will be provided with the opportunity to further my education, while experiencing a necessary change of scenery. Because the future is so uncertain and I’m not sure where my career will place me, I know that the time to travel is now.”

In addition to the extensive semester and year abroad programs at Iona, many summer trips are offered.  Currently, programs run in six locations: Paris, France; Athens, Greece; Rome, Italy; London, England; Oxford, England; and Barcelona, Spain. Each of these programs take place during Summer Session 2 from the end of May until the end of June and range from three to six weeks in duration.

Pending opportunities to study abroad in the summer include China, Morocco, Puerto Rico, Argentina and Jerusalem. Though the last four of these trips are considered to be long-term goals for the program, organization for a trip to China in Summer 2012 is currently underway. Proposed semester trips have also been suggested for Paris, Rome and Barcelona. The Iona Study Abroad program is always open to student or faculty suggestions on new developments.

One obstacle faced by Iona’s Study Abroad program is student attendance. In order for many of these programs to become a reality, a certain number of students are needed to participate.

“Student turnout for the programs is one of the biggest issues we face,” said Tedesco. “However, the numbers do seem to be getting better in recent years.”

On average, Iona sends approximately 100 students abroad each year. Though numbers have been improving, more participation is always encouraged. Any student in good standing with the school has the potential to study abroad.

“What makes a good candidate for these programs is an individual with a sense of curiosity,” said Tedesco.

Studying abroad is highly recommended by employers, faculty and fellow students who have enjoyed the experience.

Alexandra Sargent, who studied abroad with Iona in Italy, said, “If given the opportunity to study abroad during your college career, I recommend it 100 percent. You will walk away with knowledge, insight, friendships and a deep love for a new culture.”

Students can prosper immensely from the benefits of studying abroad. With little more needed than a spark of curiosity and a willingness to transcend ones comfort zone, students can open themselves up to a world of opportunity.

Study Abroad is looking for eager and hardworking students interested in applying for the position of Assistant to the Director next year: for more information please contact Dr George Mangiero or Professor Robin Tedesco. For more information on Study Abroad, email [email protected]