‘The Economics of Happiness’

On Wednesday Feb. 29, at 7 p.m. in the End Zone, Democracy Matters co-sponsored with the Economics Club and IC Green to host a movie night showing of the documentary “The Economics of Happiness.”

Created and narrated by filmmaker Helena Norberg-Hodge, “The Economics of Happiness” paints today’s world as one negatively impacted by economic globalization.

To argue against globalization, the film starkly contrasts the consumer-driven, stressful American-Western culture with that of the native Ladakh tribe in the Himalayas.

Throughout the hour-long documentary, the film poses the idea that the Ladakh live the ideal life: a happy, stress-less one in which tribe members are constantly surrounded by family.

In order to live happier, more fulfilling lives, “The Economics of Happiness” insists that watchers of the documentary must fight to end globalization and push to localize our economies.

By putting emphasis back on small local farmers and marketplaces, we can be happy again. It is not money or fancy products that ultimately make us happy, but the relationships we have and the communities we live in.

After the movie ended, Democracy Matters, the Economics Club, and IC Green engaged in discussion and debate moderated by Assistant Professor of Economics and Economics Club advisor Dr. Caitlin Greatrex.

Throughout the course of the debate, it became clear that the three clubs had extremely different opinions about the film.

Democracy Matters and IC Green members largely agreed with the film, with senior Maureen Cummins citing the constantly plugged-in college-age generation as a prime example of the negative impact of globalization.

The two clubs argued that, as college students, we are constantly using technology that sucks us into the consumer world.

This constant use of technology does not improve our communication, but instead worsens it by encouraging communication in digital, impersonal ways, which ultimately makes us less happy.

The Economics Club members took quite a different stance. While members appreciated and acknowledged that the film had a valid point stating that globalization diminishes our quality of life, Economics Club members saw the film as biased, ignoring the positive effects of globalization.

Economics Club members argued that globalization is beneficial since it fosters innovation, growth and new technology that enhances our lives by allowing us to communicate better.

As sophomore Sean Poyntz stated, “Technology and globalization connect us more than ever before. I could Skype or send a text to someone across the ocean right now if I wanted to. Being able to do that would blow someone’s mind fifty years ago! I don’t think technology and globalization takes away from our lives, it enhances them by allowing us to connect with people thousands of miles away so easily and quickly.”

The debate continued between the three clubs, with each person present contributing to the debate and grappling with some of the most pertinent issues facing our world: globalization, innovation, technology and economic growth.

The Economics Club plans to host another movie night with Democracy Matters this semester. The clubs plans to show the HBO TV film “Too Big to Fail” that chronicles the 2008 financial meltdown on Wednesday, April 4, at 7 p.m. in the End Zone.

The clubs will once again engage in discussion and debate when the film finishes. Anyone wishing to engage in “Round Two” of the debate is welcome to stop by on April 4 and voice his or her opinion.