Tough round trip sees Gaels take three of four

MAAC Pitcher of the Week senior Alyssa Maiese helped the Gaels win games against Temple and St. John’s.

The Iona College women’s softball team faced a doubleheader against Temple last Wednesday afternoon at Ambler Field near Philadelphia, Pa.

Both games went six innings as the Gaels won the first game 8-0 and came out with another victory at 10-1.

Senior pitchers Sarah Jackson and Alyssa Maiese each pitched during the doubleheader, while junior Eileen McCann set a new record in career home runs for the Gaels.

In the first game, Iona scored eight runs in four innings. The Gaels got seven hits, while Temple left the game having three errors.

In the third, freshman Angie Nieves scored due to a throwing error from Temple. In the fourth the score advanced to 5-0 when freshman Brianna Schauer got an RBI single and junior Jodi Peterson hit a two run homer.

In the fifth, McCann homered to left field giving the Gaels a 6-0 lead. The Gaels finished their last inning scoring two runs.

Senior Deanne Algeo had an RBI single to score Schauer and senior Chelsea Sheehan drove in Nieves with a sacrifice fly.

Jackson won the game, having five hits over 6 innings. Temple’s pitcher, sophomore Brooklin White, took the loss, giving up seven hits, eight runs, striking out four and walking three.

The second game against Temple was scoreless until the Gaels came out with six runs in the fourth inning. Maiese doubled to left field, allowing Sheehan to score. Sophomore Katie Jansson reached on a fielding error, scoring pinch runner senior Melanie Hay.

Senior Alyssa James hit a single, which drove in McCann for the third run of the inning. Then Jansson scored on a fielder’s choice before Peterson drove in Schauer with an RBI groundout. Algeo then got a RBI single to left.

Temple got on the scoreboard when sophomore Sarah Prezioso doubled to right field. Maiese then struck out the next few batters, keeping Iona’s lead. She finished the game giving up four hits, one run and a walk.

The Iona College softball team then faced St. John’s on Saturday afternoon at Red Storm Field. The Gaels lost the first game 4-0, but won the second game 3-1 in extra innings.

In the first inning of the first game, St. John’s got on the board, with senior Kristi Cady hitting a double before senior Kacee Cox scored her in with a single.In the fourth, St. John’s junior Chrissy Montez hit a three run home run giving the Red Storm a 4-0 lead.

Senior Sarah Jackson got the loss for the Gaels, giving up six hits and striking out 10 batters.

In the second game, St. John’s scored after having three and a half scoreless innings.

In the eighth, McCann doubled to left field and Jansson hit the winning run with a sacrifice fly.

Senior Alyssa Maiese got the win, allowing just two hits and one run while striking out seven.