Poland: A journey towards memory and reconciliation

On March 9, three students, one professor and I set off for Poland for a week-long study abroad opportunity to learn about the Holocaust, known in the Jewish community as the Shoah.

One week in Poland is barely enough time to brush the surface of the country’s troubled past and burgeoning present. Yet even with such a small taste of this rich history, we returned to Iona with new experiences and a deeper understanding of the Holocaust and its context, as well as new insights into the present-day relevance of this event.

Such a unique educational experience was made possible through Iona’s Brother John G. Driscoll Professorship in Jewish-Catholic Studies, the college’s first scholarly chair. The chair was established with a generous donation by Mr. and Mrs. Jack Rudinin July 1998 to honor President Emeritus Br. Driscoll’s 50 years as a member of the Congregation of Christian Brothers.

Today, the chair is run by Dr. Elena Procario-Foley, Chair of the Religious Studies Department at Iona. As the Driscoll Professor of Jewish-Catholic Studies, she helps continue Rudin and Br. Driscoll’s commitment to the reconciliation of Judaism and Christianity.

Through her attendance at various conferences in the United States and abroad, Procario-Foley met Fr. Manfred Deselaers, the director of education at the Centre for Dialogue and Prayer, in Oświęcim, Poland.

Together with Sr. Mary O’Sullivan, an associate from the Centre, a university-level course was developed that would take place in Poland. Staying at the Centre, directly across the street from the Auschwitz State Museum, would provide the opportunity to look at the Holocaust from an interdisciplinary perspective while simultaneously analyzing the question of Christian responsibility for the Holocaust and its effects on the relationship between Judaism and Christianity.

“It became clear to me that the best way for students to study the Holocaust was on the ground at Auschwitz,” said Procario-Foley.

With the assistance of Dr. George Mangiero, director of Iona’s Study Abroad program, the dreams of such a unique program were finally realized and the first trip ran during spring break of 2010.

This year marked the third anniversary of the program. The three trips have shared similar itineraries; however, each student returns with a different personal experience.

Seven days were spent in Poland, each packed full with lectures and excursions. The first day out witnessed an immediate blend in religious experiences as our group traveled to Wadowice, the hometown of Pope John Paul II. We learned about the life of this important man, the Pope responsible for the improvement of Jewish-Christian relations. We also attended a Catholic Mass and visited a Jewish cemetery. The afternoon brought us to the town of Oświęcim where we came to understand how the town predates “Auschwitz” and exists as a living town apart from the Holocaust today.

The trip also provided us with the opportunity to bridge the gaps between different generations and cultures. We discussed Holocaust education with local Polish college students, listened to lectures from well-known Holocaust scholars and met a charming Polish survivor of the Holocaust.

The next few days were reserved for visiting the Auschwitz camps. Learning about the Holocaust, no matter how in-depth, does not compare to actually standing on the ground where history happened. Nothing can prepare you for such an intimate experience.

“It was a life changing experience on how barbaric human beings can be to each other,” said Br. Stembridge Maimbo. “I hope to use this experience for future undertakings when relating to others, especially those whose views are different from mine.”

As we toured these two museums, the shadows of millions of people walked with us, and as our guide told us the stories of these horrible places, we became witnesses. Even as this event stands nearly 70 years in the past, its message continues to be passed on through different generations.

Associate Professor of Mass Communication Orly Shachar, said, “It was really special to experience this through the eyes of the students. It was rewarding to see how the younger generation is touched by this history because they will be the ones to carry it on.”

Though the history of the camps and the atrocities of the Holocaust must always be remembered, the last day of the trip was perhaps the most important experience because it signaled at hope for the future.

Our last full day in Poland was spent in the city of Krakow. Here we were able to observe the coexistence of the decimated Jewish population of Poland represented by the old ghetto, juxtaposed with the fledgling Jewish population that is returning to the area. We were even able to take part in a new congregation’s Shabbat service.

“There is so much history to learn and stories to tell, and we only got glimpses of it,” said freshman Michelle Muzzio. “However, the glimpses of the history and religious elements we saw were monumentally life-changing, adding to more questions about Jewish-Christian relations and the ideals that we as a society hold most valuable.”

From the destruction of an entire people fueled by rabid anti-Semitism to a community and nation rebuilding itself based on remembrance, tolerance and education; in a matter of a week we had seen history come full circle.