Gaels ‘go green’ for Earth Day

April 22 marked the 42nd anniversary of Earth Day, currently the largest vehicle fueling the modern environmental movement. Today, over one billion people participate in Earth Day activities each year, making it the largest civic observance in the world. The idea of the holiday is to bring important environmental issues to the forefront of the global consciousness; however, the effort to preserve our planet need not be reserved for only one day out of the year. Iona students prolonged the spirit of Earth Day this year by hosting a week-long extravaganza of eco-friendly events on campus. These events, sponsored by IC Green, Model UN and Biology Club, gave students a well-deserved break from end-of-the-semester stress while simultaneously inspiring the adoption of greener attitudes. On April 24, IC Green kicked off the festivities by sponsoring two events. The organization’s annual hit, the Tie-Dye Noon Activity, returned again this year with much success. Co-sponsored by SGA, this event spread the environmental message of “reduce, reuse, recycle,” while also advocating SGA’s respect campaign. Students were given free t-shirts touting these slogans to tie-dye. “It is fun, easy and you get a free shirt out of it,” said new IC Green President Christina Grafstein. “Overall it is great way to connect people to our mission and celebrate Earth Day.” IC Green followed up the tie-dying event by contributing to the environment in more direct means. Several dedicated club members and their friends got down and dirty by spending the afternoon planting in different areas across campus. The organization often assists facilities once spring arrives and planting season begins. That same evening, Model UN also honored Earth Day by sponsoring a green-themed movie night and discussion. Dr. Josh Leon of the Political Science Department opened the event with a discussion about Earth Day, environmental policy and the importance of protecting the planet. Leon explained that Earth Day began as a nationwide anti-corporate protest rather than the celebration of the earth that we know today. Many Americans were concerned about the adverse effects of industry and agriculture on the environment. “The environmental movement desired to make life better, not bigger or faster,” said Leon. “It was about questioning the use of a system that was ecologically unsustainable.” Following the discussion was a viewing of Disney’s ecological documentary “Oceans.” With both natural and digital images of marine life from across the globe, “Oceans” captivated students and encouraged serious consideration of the vanishing wonders of the sub-aquatic world. On April 26 at noon, Biology Club sponsored the “Bamboo and Beakers” event along with IC Green and GAB. Unfortunately there were no beakers, but every student was able to plant two free bamboo stalks in a recycled cup with decorative colored rocks. This small eco-friendly token was offered in celebration of Earth Day to brighten up residence halls and remind students to “stay green” throughout the year. To culminate Iona’s Earth Day celebration on April 26, IC Green held another popular annual event, the Lights Out Party. This event commemorates the occasion by showing the students at Iona a great time without using electricity. Decked out in glo-sticks, students enjoyed games, food, music, and even the opportunity to win a few prizes. “As ethical citizens, we should want to care for the earth mainly because, if we provide care for the earth, future generations would be able to benefit and live prosperous and healthy lives,” said student Christine Samwaroo. “Earth Day motivates us to keep fighting against Global Warming and it encourages us to partake in small acts such as recycling and using less electricity that can make a major impact.” For one short week the Iona community banded together to inspire change and encourage eco-friendly practices. Although the time to celebrate has passed, students agree that the spirit of Earth Day should continue throughout the year.