Year-end showcases exhibit student talent

In conjunction with The Iona Council on the Arts, the fine and performing arts department dance program performed Iona Dance Ensemble on April 26 at 5 p.m. in the Murphy Auditorium. This event showed off a section of Iona’s hidden talent. Opening with Brother Devlin, the rest of the performance presented a tranquil and relaxing environment. The audience took up the whole theatre, encouraging the dancers as they became engaged in each dance. Iona students that partook in this event include Kayla Abbate, Angela Buchanan, Alanna Chan, Alexandra Iwaniw, Fatima Goncalves, Ilana Morse and Ariana Quintano. They were accompanied by a few guest performers. The lighting, as well as a colored backdrop, intensified the ambiance of the dancers. The dances varied from solo to group performances through mostly classical music of Bach and Mozart. Some took the daring leap of choreography without any musical accompaniment. Although completely silent, their creativity stood out immensely. With or without music, each dancer shown with their effortless composure and unique choreography. Through a lot of time and diligence, Associate Professor of Fine and Performing Arts and choreographer Catherine Mapp made a great effort for this year’s dance ensemble. She said, “The concert, ‘New works; twenty-twelve’ features original choreography by myself, Professor Catherine Tharin and FPA dance minor Alanna Chan. All of the dancers have dedicated countless hours of rehearsal through this process, they are wonderful student- artists. The process of creating dance works with these articulate movers has been remarkable and memorable!” Another platform showcasing student talent is at the Br. Kenneth Chapman Gallery on North Avenue. “Accumulation 2012: The Student Exhibition” began on April 23. The captivating artwork varies between sculptures, photographs, drawings and paintings. On May 3, a Gala Reception from noon to 4 p.m. will bring a close to this weeklong exhibit. There will be a debut performance from the Iona College Instrumental Ensemble, as well as solo work from the Iona Dance ensemble. Gallery Director Madalyn Barbero said, “The Iona College Council on the Arts exists to give students an opportunity to experience the arts by bringing world class artists to the college and by encouraging students to engage in the arts through performances like these.” She went on to say that other opportunities for students to engage in the arts include the Iona Theatre Ensemble, the Iona Players, The Iona Singers, The Arrigoni Choir, The Gospel Choir, Jam Band, Coffee House and many more. In addition to the Gala Reception, Kaleidoscope is having its release party on May 3 at 9 p.m. in the End Zone. This is another great event that presents students’ work and talent. Iona features students’ creativity through the publication of two literary journals ever year. There are poetry readings and musical performances by students. Many will be reciting their work published in Kaleidoscope.