Internet services to receive upgrade

Kyle Byrne Staff Writer

By the end of this semester students can look forward to many IT improvements, including faster Internet, in response to student feedback received by the Information Technology Department.

IT improvements throughout campus include upgrades to Wi-Fi connectivity, the creation of a Blackboard mobile app, computer lab upgrades, and a web redesign to Iona’s homepage.

Junior Alberto Minnocci, SGA student representative for the Committee on Information Technology and Computing Services, raised concerns by students to the IT Department regarding wireless connectivity in the residence halls.

In response to the student concerns, the IT department studied the problem and determined that the number of access points in the residence halls need to be increased significantly. The connectivity issues are due primarily to the fact that students bring multiple devices to campus (i.e. laptops, cell phones, iPads), and these devices require more access points in order to work more efficiently on the College’s network.

The number of access points will be tripled throughout the residence halls and will be installed during winter intercession.

Faster Internet access will relieve some of the frustration that students have, especially those who feel the Wi-Fi is worst in the dorms.

Sophomores James Tarzian and Patrick Assande live in Rice Hall, the oldest residence building on campus.

“I think my ’90s dial-up system is faster than Iona’s Wi-Fi,” said Tarzian. According to Assande, the Internet in Rice is “slower than molasses.”

The Information Technology Department is increasing the Internet bandwidth on campus to 300 MB. This increase will double the amount of bandwidth currently available for students to use while on the Internet, which will double the capacity for Internet traffic in the residence halls. Upgrades to the bandwidth will be done by the end of November.

Another improvement by IT involves the Blackboard site. Blackboard has recently made mobile access available for its users. Iona has been testing this product, and it will be available to all Iona students who purchase the app starting this November as well. The new Blackboard mobile site can be purchased for $1.99 for a year or $5.99 for a lifetime from the Apple App Store or the Android Market.

The Committee on Information Technology and Computing Services makes recommendations to upgrade technology labs across the campus on a systematic basis. The computer labs in the Psychology Department, Ryan Library 201, Ryan Library 202 and LaPenta Computer Lab A have been selected for new hardware this year. The Psychology Department, LaPenta A and one library lab will get brand new HP hardware, and the second library lab will get brand new Apple hardware. These upgrades will be completed before the start of the spring semester.

Currently, there is one IT upgrade on campus already in effect for student use. Wi-Fi service is now available in the LaPenta copy room next to the Club Hub.

Since the web redesign process is extensive, the Committee on Information Technology and Computing Services asked members to volunteer and create a Web Redesign Subcommittee. This subcommittee includes students, administrators, faculty and staff.

Joanne Steele, Vice Provost for Informational Technology, said, “The members of the subcommittee will have the opportunity to react to design choices, make determinations about the navigation structure and play a significant role in the creation of our new web presence.”

“The web redesign project is part of the college’s strategic plan. For many students the web page is their first introduction to Iona College. We want their virtual experience to be a positive one and [to] convey what is unique about Iona,” said Steele.

Minnocci reported that a number of students in SGA wanted to join the Web Redesign Subcommittee. This decision was unanimously agreed upon by the Committee on Informational Technology and Computing Services.

Steele said, “The committee believes that additional student input will improve the overall quality design of the webpage. Their Iona experiences will help us better connect with future Iona students as well as to help us better serve current Iona students.”

The goal of the Web Redesign Subcommittee is to launch a completely redesigned website for Iona by August 2013.