Comedic relief amid finals

With all of the stress students have been under due to finals and the end of the semester, Saturday Night Comedy with Robbie Printz was a great way for students to sit back, relax and have a good laugh.

Printz did not tell jokes in a routine or scripted way. He involved the audience as part of his jokes. He told stories about bad experiences at airports, annoying people that he had no patience for, and people who are behind in technology. The jokes were about his personal experiences, and he asked the audience if they had similar ones.

Junior Liz Morse said, “He was very interactive with the crowd which allowed a sense of humor to come through.”

In the hour that Printz was performing it was difficult to find a time that the audience was not laughing. It seemed that students laughed after every other word he said. His jokes were relatable and his enthusiastic personality told them well.

“It was different, but I was thoroughly entertained,” said sophomore Mary Cain.

With only two weeks left in the semester, students are more stressed then they have been all year. It would not be far fetched to say that students have not had a minute to relax. The show allowed them to take a break from the stress and have a good laugh.

“It felt like I was just sitting around with my friends,” said sophomore Savannah Lang.

Printz, who came from Boston to perform, said that he had a great time.

“I was pleasantly surprised,” said Printz. “At first it seemed like no one was going to show up but then right before the show started, it seemed like a bus full of people showed up. It really turned out to be a great time.”

Junior Matt Harrigan, current chair of the Gaels Activities Board said that GAB found Printz at the National Association for Campus Activities conference. He said that Printz had performed at Iona a few years ago so they decided to bring him back because he was popular with the student body then.

“We hoped students would come to this show to be relieved from the stress associated with the end of the semester. He’s a funny guy, and hopefully we will have him back,” said Harrigan.

The show was an overall success. Students seemed to enjoy taking time off from schoolwork to relax and laugh with each other.