A peek into Players

Caitlyn O’Toole Staff Writer

The Iona Players are among the most visible and dynamic organizations on campus. From the excitement of a production to the student-favorite Skits O’Frenicks improv group, the Players have grabbed attention and managed to hold onto the spotlight.

Following tradition, the Players will bring a musical to Iona’s campus this spring semester. “Curtains” will take the stage at the end of February.

There are also some new elements that will mix things up. Most notably, Melissa Pelletier, RHD of Operations in the Office of Residential Life, is being welcomed as the new director.

“Her experience in the theatre and her great standing on campus will add a unique factor to this performance,” said senior Brian Sears who is President of the Players.

Sears is especially looking forward to the showcase of talent that “Curtains” will host. The Players’ fall production, “The Complete Works of William Shakespeare: Abridged,” employed the talent of many underclassmen new to the Iona stage. Sears hopes the musical will allow these students to come into their own.

In April, the Players will make history by putting on a student-written production for the first time. Sophomore Kevin Towler authored “Captain Kevin of the Fourth Astro-Alliance,” a full-length musical comedy.

“It’s about a modern space-themed Don Quixote navigating New York City,” Towler said.

The script is unique for a number of different reasons. Towler said that it incorporates “original characters, wacky songs and heavy improvisation.”

Sears added that the reliance on the musical abilities of the performers also sets this student work apart from other musicals.

Auditions for Towler’s musical will be held this month.

The Skits O’Frenicks will have a very busy semester. The brainchild of Sears and Towler was born in spring 2012 and has grown substantially over the past semester.

Towler explained that the group will continue bi-weekly shows in the End Zone and will have shows in the Loftus Courtyard once warm weather returns.

The group is also trying new forms of entertainment. During the fall semester, they worked on the beginnings of scripted comedic videos.

Skits O’Frenicks is looking forward to pursuing these videos and distributing them online. Sears explained that using different media will allow the group to work in other ideas and concepts.

The Skits have also volunteered to support charitable efforts on campus. Towler said the group enjoyed working with Pi Kappa Phi on their Pedals for PUSH event in the fall and that they hope to support other groups on campus.

Sears shared that the Players will also continue to support their philanthropy, Broadway Impact, a theatre-based organization that works towards marriage equality in America.

From onstage productions to improv performances, the Players have a busy semester ahead of them. Watch The Ionian’s Arts & Entertainment section throughout the semester to learn what dates the Players will provide entertainment for the Iona community.