Baseball ends five game skid

Andrew Jordan Assistant Sports Editor

After starting the season with a series defeat to Mount St. Mary’s, Iona’s baseball team continued their non-conference schedule with a series against George Mason.

However, the Gaels’ bad luck from their first series continued into Fairfax, where Iona lost their first game to the Patriots by a 12-3 score.

Following a run scored by Junior Joe Torres in the first inning, Mason responded with three unearned runs with two outs in the inning.

The Patriots added two additional runs in the third inning before breaking the game open with a five run fifth inning. The Gaels did respond with two runs in the sixth, but it was not enough to overcome the loss.

This struggle continued in a doubleheader two days later, where Iona was swept by 13-1 and 5-4 scores respectfully.

Freshman Max Bruckner gave up 12 runs in 3.2 innings of work. This, coupled with seven hits by the offense, subdued the Gaels.

With a large deficit, Iona’s bullpen pitched superbly. Sophomore Scott Glowaczewski, senior Anthony LaFauci and freshman Andrew Pucillo teamed up to pitch 5.1 innings, allowing just one run on four hits with six strikeouts.

The lone Gael run came from sophomore Jimmy Guiliano’s RBI single, which drove in Torres during the third inning.

In the nightcap, Iona responded with a stronger offensive effort. The Gaels plated two runs on a fielder’s choice by Junior Bobby Vitulano to tie the score at three before going into the eighth inning.

Iona took the lead in the eighth inning after a two-out double by Senior Chris Sand. However, Mason scored two runs off Gaels’ closer senior Tom Kriss to claim a 5-4 win to sweep the series.

Due to inclement weather, the Gaels started play in a three-way round robin against Fordham and Lehigh.

The start of the series came against Fordham, where the Gaels’ losing streak was extended to five games.

Similar to their final game against George Mason, Iona had to overcome an early deficit after the Rams scored two runs in the bottom of the first inning. Fordham extended this lead to 4-1 in the sixth inning.

Iona got a run back in the seventh to make the score 4-2. After senior Matt Kriss scored with one out in the ninth, Iona appeared to be in a position to tie the game. However, the rally was subdued by a late double play.

The Gaels snapped the losing streak the following day against Lehigh with a 4-1 win.

Iona scored once in the first inning and added two runs in the second inning thanks to some errors by the Mountain Hawk defense.

Bruckner, who allowed one run on two hits over seven innings, held Lehigh’s bats in check.

After the win, Torres felt optimistic about the Gaels’ performance. “The team feels good. Getting a win always feels great. We are starting to play together and we are playing hard,” he said.

“Obviously, we feel good about the win but we also realize it is just one win, and we’ve got to continue to play hard and work hard.”

The following day, the Gaels lost 4-3 to the Mountain Hawks. Torres helped to get the Gaels two runs in the third inning by hitting a run-scoring double. He subsequently scored later in the inning on a Vitulano groundout.

Iona scored another run in the fifth inning on a Guiliano groundout. However, Lehigh rallied and tied the game in the eighth inning on a wild pitch with two men out in the inning.

In the tenth inning, Lehigh won the game on a passed ball.

Despite the loss, Torres believes that the Gaels will rebound, “The wins are going to come as long as we continue to do what we are doing.”

Some notable opposition the Gaels will face will come against Villanova on March 8 and 10 before a four game series at Oklahoma State on March 15-17.

Iona’s home opener will be on March 19 against Fordham.